AI with thrust override turns off thrusters

Jzuken Chekumashevich shared this bug 11 months ago
Reported

Description:

I have encountered a bug in Space Engineers where thrust override doesn't work with AI blocks. This issue occurs when attempting to use thruster override and AI blocks on a grid.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Place the grid into a planetary atmosphere.
  2. Set any waypoint for the AI Basic block outside of the planet.
  3. Start the first timer on toolbar (Timer Launch).

Observed Behavior:

Despite having sufficient thrust, thrusters being on override, and dampeners being turned on, the grid falls to the ground instead of blasting into space or hovering/moving upwards.

What works:

1. Turn on the event controller.
  2. Accelerate beyond 100 m/s upwards.

After following the above steps, cruise control takes over and grid accelerates into space.

Expected Behavior:

The expected behavior is that either the thruster override takes priority, causing the grid to blast into space, or the AI takes priority and the grid hovers/moves upwards, or the dampeners take priority and grid stays in place.

This bug may already have been reported during beta testing, but seemingly either wasn't fixed or this is another bug:

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/27507-ai-and-thrust-override-issues

The issue also persists on other AI blocks (e.g. Offensive AI) and outside of gravity/atmosphere, but it's easier to test in gravity, to see that dampeners also don't work.

Here is the grid that you can test this bug on:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2968846769

Replies (6)

photo

Reproduced in single player unmodded game.

photo

I would rather say that the bug is that the AI does not properly use the thrusters when an override was on. I would totally expect it to take over full control of thrusters, but it just turns off the override and then doesn't use them. So I rather see it take full control, otherwise its flight behavior is rather undefined.

photo

Nah, problem existed before in some form or another:

Reproduced with atmo thrusters in vanilla world, but weirdly only while building and setting up the test grid as a station. Once cut loose, the thrusters correctly turned on and off and also produced thrust, per timer sequence, and did so for any clones copied and pasted from the original.

photo
photo

Also encountered it with only BuildInfo installed. I thought this is normal behaviour. I'd like it to either still override or make it so it ignores override. Not working at all seems ... wrong

photo

Hello, Jzuken Chekumashevich,

thank you for contacting us. I checked your save and tried to fix your issue. Since AI need more thrust and needs to move in all directions I added a few more thrusters and removed one gyroscope. The main up thruster still accelerates. I am attaching the new save here. Please test it out yourself and let me know if your issue was fixed by that :)

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

No, this did not resolve the issue. The issue is still there, please see the updated version:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2978399866

When thrusters are overriden and AI is turned on - neither AI, override or dampeners take priority and the grid just falls to the ground.

Same as with previous grid it can be replicated by starting the first timer (timer Launch) on the toolbar. Expected behavior: either AI or thrust override takes over control of the thrusters.

photo
photo

Hello, Jzuken Chekumashevich,

thank you for the updated save. I was able to reproduce the bug and I reported it into our internal system.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

In other words, you put this report in the metaphorical paper shredder. Because it's been nine months now with no fix.

photo
photo

So it was not fixed?

Leave a Comment

Attach a file