Thrusters not working although turned "ON" in the Control Menu

33iRobot33 shared this bug 2 years ago
Reported

SUMMARY:

If i use a Timer Block to turn "ON" a thruster (acceleration is overridden to the maximum) the thruster will turn "ON" in the Control Menu but the thruster won't have any visual effects nor accelerate (it isn't working).

COMPLETE INFO:

i try to be as precise about this bug as i can be (may be along post) due to my experiments.

Grid it occured on:

I built a little Torpedo (small grid) with only minimal functional blocks (3 Ion Thrusters, 3 Timer Blocks,1 Small Battery, 1 Warhead, 1 Sensor, 1 Merge Block). The idea was to use the Timer Blocks to first move the torpedo away from its launching ship/base, then thrust in the opposite direction to cancel the momentum and finally start the back thruster to launch forward.

The Thrusters are all set to maximum override acceleration (14400) and turned "OFF".

The Timer Blocks are set up like this (leaving out useless information about Merge Block and Sensor/Warhead):

1st Timer Block: Countdown irrelevant (Trigger Now); 1st Thruster turns "ON", 2nd Timer Block "Start"

2nd Timer Block: Countdown: 5 seconds; 1st Thruster turns "OFF", 2nd Thruster turns "ON", 3rd Timer Block "Start"

3rd Timer Block: Countdown: 5 seconds; 2nd Thruster turns "OFF", 3rd Thruster turns "ON"

The BUG:

If i start the first Timer Block: the second thruster (and sometimes the 3rd aswell) doesn't work (no effects, no acceleration)

What i already tried:

I added more power to the grid (somehow i thought maybe theres too little power, since 1 Small Battery equals 1 small Ion Thruster, but that doesn't make any sense) - No change

I tried using the blueprint in a fresh "Empty World" - No change

I deleted the 2nd Timer Block and built a new one with the same settings - No change

I didn't use the 1st Timer Block to start the chain, instead i started the 2nd Timer Block manually - The thruster works as it should!

I checked the Control Menu while the Timer Blocks sequenze - All thrusters switch to "ON" in the Control Menu as they should, but the 2nd (and sometimes the 3rd) don't accelerate and don't have any visual effects.

If i leave the thruster turned "ON" in the Control Menu but it isn't working:

-and i return to the main menu and load the world again, the thruster will work correctly immediately.

-and i turn the power of the grid "OFF" and "ON" again, the thruster will work correctly immediately.

If i manually change the "ON/OFF" settings in the Control Menu it works fine. The bug only accurs if the action is done by a timer block.

I added the world in which it occured (it also happens if i paste the blueprint in other worlds) as a RAR-file. The hull of the torpedo is opened for better traceability of the timers and it is pinned to a large block platform with a landing gear in order to not have it fly away during the test.

I hope this detailed report helps to understand everything about the bug that i found out so far.

Replies (2)

photo

Rebuilding the thrusters solves the bug until the world is reloaded. Then it appears again.

photo

Hello, 33iRobot33!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues. I appreciate all the detailed information. I am going to ask a silly question for reliable reproduction steps. Although you mention a lot of information, I can't quite understand the steps to reproduce the issue. I have turned each Timer Block to either trigger now or start and each thruster works without issue. I'm sure I'm missing a very obvious step so please could you post simple steps for me to follow to reproduce the issue?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hella Laura,

I recorded a video showing the bug happening in my game. I hope this will help you.

An important point is, that the Timer Block which the player starts will always work. Timer Blocks triggered by another Timer Block won't activate the thruster in my build

photo

Hello, 33iRobot33!

That's an excellent video, I really appreciate that! :)

I have successfully reproduced this and reported it internally. Thank you so much.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Thank you, im glad that the video helped :)

I'm happy to help improving the game even if it's just a tiny bit. And also i'm looking forward to see my build working in the future :D

photo

Just want to add my discoveries. Also encountered issues where I have hydrogen thrusters stops working.

- Thrusters are ON on ship

- Connect to base (lock connector). Thrusters stays ON.

- Disconnect from base (unlock connector). Thrusters dead. No flame.

In my case, I also happen to have a hydrogen generator on my base. If I turn it off, I think I do not generate enough net power to power my base. The base is basically running on stored power from batteries (the base batteries and my ship's battery).

It makes no difference if I put my ship battery on recharge and back to auto (even after disconnecting, putting the ship battery in recharge and back to auto does not make the thrusters work). Also, turning the thrusters OFF and back ON (Toggle block) does not help.

I found 2 working solutions

- Either I turn ON the hydrogen generator on the main base *before* disconnecting the ship (this way the base have enough generated power when I disconnect the ship, i.e. the batteries, on base and ship, have a net power gain at the moment I disconnect).

- Or, once i disconnect the ship (and hydros turn "off"), I disable and re-enable the ship battery (Toggle block ON/OFF). The game somehow re-compute the battery status net power properly (i.e. it's not prioritizing the refineries sucking more power than what's being generated and in turn overwriting the thrusters).

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file