Constant crashing again

Ollie Pattemore shared this bug 4 months ago
Need More Information

So I left a report that my game was consistently crashing a while ago, both in multiplayer and single player. For a while, the game seemed to just fix itself... Funnily enough, right when my last support ticket was closed, it has started crashing every 2 minutes in modless single player again, so the suggestion that torchmod was causing the issue probably isn't it. I tried the solutions provided by keen and nothing has worked. Like I said before, this is likely not a hardware issue - all my other games play perfectly fine, temps are fine, etc. I've exhausted probably all the solutions available and nothing has helped, so I've figured this is maybe an issue with SE itself that I cannot fix. To add - the game crashing will sometimes provide logs, whilst other times it will freeze and I wont be able to access other applications or close the game despite still being able to access the tabs menu. This is genuinely driving me insane... One thing I've noticed is that I have to keep verifying steam files quite often as the same 3448 (I think its this many) files keep breaking.

I've attached a log of the most recent crash that actually provided a log.

Replies (1)

photo

Hello, Ollie!

Thank you for writing to us and for sharing the log file.

One of the prominent errors we have noticed in the log is 'TryChangeToFullscreen failed' which typically indicates a problem related to the game's attempt to switch to Fullscreen mode. To resolve this, from the game's Main Menu, go to Options > Display > Window Mode, and change it to 'Window' or 'Fullscreen Window'. Also, enable 'Vertical Sync' on this same screen. Save the changes by clicking on the 'OK' button. Exit and restart the game. Check if that resolves your issue.

In case you're unable to run the game or it crashes instantly, you can change the Window Mode by following these steps:

1. Go to the SE folder in Roaming by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar. This will redirect you to the hidden Roaming folder.
  2. Navigate to \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.
  3. Find the SpaceEngineers.cfg file and open it with a text editor like Notepad.
  4. Find lines 90 and 92, which say:
    <Key>WindowMode</Key>
    <Value xsi:type="xsd:string">2</Value>
  5. Change the number in line 92 to adjust the Fullscreen setting manually. The values are: Window 0, Fullscreen window 1, and Fullscreen 2.
  6. Save the file and try to run the game.

If the game still crashes even after changing the Window Mode to 'Window' or 'Fullscreen Window', please try the following workarounds as well:

• Verify your game files in Steam again (Right-click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Installed Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files → wait until all game files are verified successfully).
  • Reinstall DirectX from the official Microsoft website to ensure all components are correctly installed.
  • Disable or uninstall any software that could interfere with display settings, such as screen recorders or overlays (e.g., Discord overlay, GeForce Experience).
  • Run the game as an administrator to ensure it has the necessary permissions.

Please let us know if any of these workarounds help in resolving your issue. If not, please send us the latest game crash log file.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Thanks for the reply :)

Unfortunately the window mode isn't causing the error, and reinstalling DirectX didn't help either.

I haven't tried running the game as administrator yet, but unlike my other games I don't see an option to do so... is there some hidden way to do it through steam? Right clicking SE in the desktop doesn't bring the administrator option up.

ill also add another log here just in-case

photo

Hello, Ollie!

Thank you for sharing the latest log file.

We noticed that you have changed your window mode to Fullscreen Window, which tends to solve the 'TryChangeToFullscreen failed' issue. We see that this error no longer appears in the log. However, the game is still crashing with the same exception error as before.

Since you're not getting the option to run Space Engineers with admin rights, you can try the workarounds below to give Space Engineers admin rights:

Run as Administrator through Steam:

• Navigate to your Steam Library.
  • Right-click on Space Engineers.
  • Select Properties.
  • Go to the Installed Files tab.
  • Click on Browse... to open the game folder.
  • In the game folder, go to Bin64 and locate SpaceEngineers.exe.
  • Right-click on SpaceEngineers.exe and select Properties.
  • Go to the Compatibility tab.
  • Check Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click Apply, then OK.

Or, Create a Shortcut with Admin Privileges:

• Navigate to the game folder as described above.
  • Right-click on SpaceEngineers.exe and select Create shortcut.
  • Right-click on the new shortcut, select Properties.
  • Go to the Shortcut tab, click Advanced....
  • Check Run as administrator.
  • Click OK, then Apply, then OK.

Please let us know if launching/playing Space Engineers with admin rights resolves your issue.

Kind Regards,

photo

Unfortunately after running it as administrator, it hasn't stopped crashing. Here's another log from the most recent crash, hopefully it helps.

photo

Are you still looking into this? My game remains unplayable and i need to fix it.

photo

Hello Ollie,

Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue.

Could you please confirm if you tried verifying the game files as suggested previously and if all the files were successfully verified?

Please also ensure that your graphics drivers and operating system are up to date.

Additionally, try changing the graphics quality from the game's main menu. Go to Options > Graphics > Quality Preset and change it to Low or Medium. Save the changes and see if the issue still occurs for you.

Kind Regards,

photo

All the files are successfully verified and my drivers/OS is all up to date. Changing the graphics quality hasn't stopped the crashing either. This is a log i just got whilst playing on the low settings preset. To add - my hardware is perfectly capable of running the game on extreme settings, as it has done so without issue in the past, so it's strange that this is a relatively new problem.

photo

Hello, Ollie!

Sorry to hear that none of the workarounds have resolved this issue for you.

To further address this issue, could you please try rolling back your graphics driver to the previous version? To do so, please follow these steps;

Download Previous Driver:

• Go to the NVIDIA Advanced Driver Search page.
  • Select your graphics card model, operating system, and other information (please check your Windows Driver Type as suggested on the website by clicking on the ? mark next to that option)
  • Click on search and download the GeForce Game Ready Driver 555.85 version released on May 21, 2024 (Please see the attached image for reference).

Uninstall Current Driver:

• Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
  • Find the NVIDIA Graphics Driver, right-click on it, and select "Uninstall."
  • Follow the prompts to remove the current driver.

Install Previous Driver:

• Once the current driver is uninstalled, run the installer for the previous driver version you downloaded.
  • When installing the previous driver, you can choose the "Custom" installation option and check "Perform a clean installation" to ensure that all remnants of the previous driver are removed.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Once the older version is installed, please check if the issue still persists or if it has been resolved.

If the issue persists, could you also check if the previous version of the game worked fine for you? You can do this by going to Steam Library > right-click on Space Engineers > Betas > and from the Beta Participation drop-down menu, select version 1.203.6. Update the game and see if this version works fine for you.

Kind Regards,

photo

Hi again - So I've already tried rolling back the drivers, which didn't work - BUT, using the 1.203.6 version of the game seems to have stopped the crashes completely. Obviously this doesn't fully solve my problem, since i cant really play an outdated version of the game properly, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm guessing this means one of the recent updates has caused something to start crashing my game? Is it something i could possibly fix, or is this only something you guys over at Keen are able look into? Either way im very glad that this narrows down the issue a little!

photo

Also, are there any obvious changes from the 1.203.6 version of the game that could be causing the issue?

photo

On further testing, it turns out the game still crashes after reverting the update to 1.203.6. I'm absolutely fed up with this now - its been over a month of not being able to play SE so the sooner this gets figured out the better.

Faulting application name: SpaceEngineers.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xd547b55c

Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 32.0.15.5612, time stamp: 0x667a3b02

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000031047d

Faulting process ID: 0x0x6904

Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DAD6766EA51003

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\Bin64\SpaceEngineers.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5714f0dca6485379\nvwgf2umx.dll

Report ID: 73b60b67-2ef8-46c8-b223-689d4cdcf6c7

it gave me this in event viewer, which to my knowledge is a faulting Nvidia module, however i still dont understand how my drivers could be responsible when all my other games run fine...

photo

I tried uninstalling and re-installing my graphics drivers using a DDU but the game still crashes - The same faulting Nvidia module is mentioned in event viewer as in my previous comment.

i noticed in the log ive attached that there's a load of sharp.dx errors. No idea if thats causing the issue though.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file