Daisy Chaining Hinges Makes First Hinge REALLY Weak.

OMG-Vert shared this bug 2 months ago
Considered

If you add a second (or more) hinge to the first hinge then the first hinge has almost no torque.


In my test I had one hinge connected to a grid at a 90 degree angle so as I added blocks they would be horizontal to the ground.

If only ONE hinge is used then I was able to add up to 30 blast door armor blocks and it lifted it up no problem.

If I had the same hinge and then add a second hinge I could only add up to four blast door armor blocks before the first hinge will fail and drop. The second hinge seemed to be unaffected.


So either a single hinge weighs as much as (or has the same mass as) 26 blast door blocks OR,...

Hinges are broken.

Comments (3)

photo
1

Hello, Engineer!


Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.

Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.


We really appreciate your patience.


Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo
2

Hi Support, I think this issue is stems from this line of code in MyMotorStator's UpdateBeforeSimulation

float num6 = Math.Min(this.Torque, (base.TopGrid.Physics.Mass > 0f) ? (base.TopGrid.Physics.Mass * base.TopGrid.Physics.Mass) : this.Torque);
it appears that the force of a rotor/hinge is capped to the mass^2 of the grid it's attached to. I assume this is to prevent values that are too large from doing unfortunate things, but it messes up the rotors/hinges in a more complex subgrid scenario from correctly being able to apply the necessary force because it only takes into account the mass of the first subgrid after the rotor, not additional ones.

photo
2

just to further add onto this. I wrote a plugin and used runtime reflection to remove this artificial cap on the rotor torque and successfully was able to lift the same amount of weight on subgrids as I can if I don't have any extra subgrids on the rotor head.

photo
photo
1

I just tried making a welding arm. Worked great in space, good mobility, but to achieve that, I ended up using 3 pistons, 5 rotors and 4 hinges. In planetary gravity, I just cannot get the thing to even lift it's own weight. It's completly useless. Yes, there's a mix of small grid and large grid. I feel that using a large rotor in that middle connection between the 2 hinges would made the arm much bigger then it already is and would just have looked rather sily.


The last rotor is redundant and could be removed and I could probably removed , but given just how badly this is working, I really think that would make much of a difference. Removing other parts of the arm would definitely have an effect on it's mobility. Mind you, that welder has nothing in it, so I don't even want to think just how bad things would end up if I tried welding anything and it sucked in a few hundred plates.


I could make this contraption a lot lighter if we had small grid 3x3 pistons, but we don't. We do have hinges and rotors in that format. That might alleviate the problem, but ultimately, I feel like sub grids is something Keen seriously need to work on. There's a lot of very interesting applications for them, but right now, the limits of the game make them impractical.

58b6f1775bd1db0287c6ccebd62d7dcd