This object is in archive! 

Camera Zooms Out too Far When Docked

Alex L shared this bug 4 years ago
Won't Fix

WHAT IS HAPPENING

When a ship's landing gear is locked or it's connector is docked the camera zooms out several hundred meters. You can't zoom back in. This makes it incredibly difficult to see what you're doing.

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN

The camera should not zoom out when docking or parking. You should be able to control the zoom with alt+mouse wheel.

HOW TO REPRODUCE

Dock your ship with a connector or lock it's landing gear to any surface. The camera will then zoom out so far that your ship will be barely visible.

Replies (11)

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.

Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.

We really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

That's completely superfluous.

I can't zoom in, so it's inconvenient to check around.

At least let me choose to don't use this function.

I'd like to ask a question, is there any "user" who said "this is good" about this specification?

photo

Please give us camera freedom............... So hard to align a movable connector when both cockpits are large grids (I think the zoom out scales with grid size?)

If solving this bug is too hard, please consider letting us attach a camera INSIDE a connector to facilitate docking.

photo

Same issue, as soon as the connectors touch eachother the view zooms out. It does scale to the size of the grid it attaches to so I am assuming it acts as sort of a merge block. Must be a bug, but it wasn't here last time I played so I have no clue.

This bug was reported 9 months ago according to this report, and considering I've played after that, the bug must have bene squashed and then revived. I am sorta clueless as to how to fix this myself. I guess I have to add cameras all over the ship grid and use that... dafuq.

Update: It is not just the connector, the landing gear does the same, meaning, if I try to align the connector whilst my landing gear block is ON, it will attach with the landing gear and zoom out like crazy so I can't see whats going on.

What I do at the moment is keybind my landing gear so I turn the block off and only turn it back on when I have the connector aligned.

If either the Landing Gear or the Connector get's "Locked" the view will zoom out. Very annoying.

photo

I had a good amount of fun with space engineers but there are simply too many annoying issues you only find out after 50~100 hours. Keen seems to have abandoned fixing issues, as many bugs and QoL requests could have been easily fixed a LOOONG time ago, such as this one... A shame, game had huge potential, but it's in beta state at best.

photo

I would have 100% been behind delaying the latest DLC for a month, JUST to get this fixed. If I'm in a solo cockpit, any grid size, and someone else docks onto my ship... suddenly I can't see what I'm doing, because my camera refuses to get close at all.

This keeps coming up, as I have a crane attached to my base that I use to relocate Grids as I build them, but every time I attach it to the grid-in-progress (me in the new grid, remote controlling the crane because friends are away), it yeets the camera and I can't see what I'm doing.

I ended up getting MART, the Mouse-Assisted Rotor Targeting script (or something), and building a mouse-controlled cam attached to the crane so I don't have to deal with the camera-yeeting.

photo

still bugged

photo

This is still a thing so the outdated tag should probably be removed.

photo

James is right, this was never addressed by Keen. This is super annoying and makes flying needlessly difficult. Please fix.

photo

Yup, and probably will be a thing until Space Engineers 2.

photo

Hello All!

Firstly, I appreciate this thread is quite old. We now change statuses to 'outdated' as we would like users to re-test their issue on the latest version. As this was commented on recently, I have looked into it, this morning. I have successfully reproduced your issue and reported it internally :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Nice! Thanks Laura.

photo

Thank you, Laura :)

photo

Thanks.

Such an annoying glitch... whats worse is most times when you disconnect your small ship, the view is STILL zoomed way out, so you have to use the awkward alt-mousewheel-while-not-trying-to-jiggle-the-view-direction nonsense to get it back to where it was originally before connecting/docking.

Because double-tapping "v" to change view to cockpit and back to 3rd person, does not auto-correct zoom level.

So I've been trying to adopt a habit of going to 'cockpit view' before I push the hotbar button to lock my connector or gear. Then cursing everytime I forget, and have to refix the damned zoom level YET AGAIN.

photo

Chiming in here - 3rd person view, small grid ship on a large grid landing pad - can only rotate around the whole base, not the ship I'm actually sat in.

photo

Hello, everyone!

I'm sorry, but I have to inform you that this issue won't be fixed. According to our programmers, there were several discussions about the behavior of camera when you lock to some big grid. This solution was picked and implemented.

You can submit change proposal to our feedback section.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Might I suggest exposing the range of the third person cockpit camera so folks like me can mod and allow the user to decide if they would like to use it. My flyable builds get up to literally 1 mile cubed and I would love to be able to stretch that camera out even further at times... But I agree with the thread, it is out too far when docked, especially in smaller vessels. It would be nice to be able to hotkey toggle that view with a normal 3rd person view for your ship.... just saying ;)

And if that is already exposed can you please point me in the right direction, keyword, file, anything really would help.

Thank you for all you do!

photo

I highly agree with S King- if the current solution is ideal to the developer, please make minor adjustments to the backend so users can change it with mods, just like almost every other aspect of the game- even if it does literally nothing for the average player, it does leaps and bounds with the loyalty and support of the modding community.

A change as proposed would even allow specific Prefab scenarios to be available, that are impossible as it is now. For example, a proper roller-coaster or fun-house ride (silly examples, but I can't think of a serious example) that isn't locked to first-person view.

This would also allow for Fighters to be deployed from inside a ship's Bay via attached moving arm, without being forced to either a cockpit view, or view of the outside of the deploying ship- meaning that they could see the interior of the bay, and thus control the deployment manually without relying on Timer blocks, or a teammate launching them.

Although "this issue won't be fixed", please, PLEASE make it so that the users can make the choice for themselves, be it via mod or settings. Maybe have a toggle to switch between Sub-Grid third-person camera and Full-Grid third-person camera. I would sacrifice one extra keybind just for that feature. Plus... think of the screenshots that would be then possible that would otherwise require an extra player, or camera drone, or camera system.

Thank you for considering, and I hope that each DLC continues to be better and bigger than the last, and closer and closer to being worth the $5. The mods that I have that modify each DLC MAKE the DLC worth the money, oddly enough. Keep up the good work, and less "teasers" that end up being letdowns (like the Tracks one... got everyone's hopes up, thinking that Tank Treads were being implemented, instead of a simple tire-tracking decal system that attaches to voxels and grids, aka tracks. Immersive, but disappointing).

Replies have been locked on this page!