Music is in mono? Why?

uximer shared this bug 3 years ago
Reported

Music is in mono? Why? I've now, having played for a few days, have heard only one track in stereo. All other sounds are stereo... and intro is in stereo when the game loads.

I'm almost certain it is a bug. I don't think the composer Karel Antonin or any sound designer would approve of this. At least I wouldn't.

Please fix!

Replies (18)

photo

And just for testing, I started the game in 1.194 Frostbite and everything is in stereo as it's supposed to, so it is a bug.

photo

Hello, uximer,

thanks for letting us know. However, I did not manage to reproduce you issue. I´m not assuming you have some weird setting of HW sounds, but.. can you at least share the Audio settings you have, please?

Also when sharing those setting, it would be beneficial to share the save with us so we can investigate it further.

You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.

Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1snQcMsVm0IsWy555_C3wnIK7yXCMEsg2/view?usp=sharing

What do you mean by "HW sounds" ? Also by Audio settings you mean Windows audio settings?

If everything was in mono I'd suspect a problem on my side, but it's just music, and most of the tracks, except one and except the intro. It's like the music files are being played back using only on channel (either left or right) mixed to center, or probably left and right mixed into a mono stream. And again, there is one track that is stereo and as the tracks crossfade the difference should be audible to most anyone.

And while we're at it, a bit higher bitrate for music wouldn't do harm either, wouldn't sound so "mp3-ish". Yes it will tax the system a little but, but music audio cpu resource usage should be quite negligible compared to everything else.

photo

Ah, you sent it. Never mind. Sorry.

Will try from your save. Thanks.

Nevertheless, those additional information would definitely help while testing it.

photo
photo

Hello uximer,

I mean whether you are using some other PC/music application... are you composing the music (Magix, FruitLoop..) by yourself or using some animation software (Source film maker or similar?). That can change your computer audio settings.

Audio setting, I meant ingame audio settings.

Do you hear the music stereo, if you try to play it e.g. in windows music player? All other music/tracks/videos on your computer are playing stereo? Are you using some pro-gaming headphones? Did you check the setting for the, through the manufacturer app? That might be problem as well, as you can set various settings in headphones settings as well.

Regarding your other issue/proposal.. please write it in our Feedback section: https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/add

as there are other people viewing this and decide what to do with the proposals.

You did not share any save file, so we can not take a look at your particular game/world. Can I ask for it once more?

Kind Regards

photo

Hello,

No I'm not using any other software and everything else is playing stereo, and as I said, the game runs in stereo which includes the sounds game-objects in-game, intro music and one track in-game. But the rest of the music sounds mono.

About audio settings, assuming you mean "Audio Options", here is a link to the screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IZIwZUMsQ4xXMYB1gjNED65Uj_nF3xgk/view?usp=sharing

And about the save file, I did post a link to it in the beginning of my last post:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1snQcMsVm0IsWy555_C3wnIK7yXCMEsg2/view?usp=sharing

Here you can see a save of Lost Colony scenario,

I don't suppose you want me to send the whole Saves folder with my ID? It's 860MB and it should makes no difference what save you use. The issue is also present in Never Surrender and also in Splitsie's custom Survival Impossible scenario. The issue is "global".

photo

Hello, uximer!

Yeah, I can hear it now... thanks for your patience and help :) The issue was reproduced and pun into our internal system.

Kind Regards

photo

Hello, it seems that this bug has been forgotten as it was reported 2 years ago.

Would it be possible to elevate it to get it fixed? Personally I think this bug completely ruins ingame music. Stereo music mixed down to mono always sounds bad.

I think it would be easy to fix because it's only music playback, just fix it to properly play back stereo audio.

photo
photo

It's been 6 months now. Trying to be patient.

photo

Is this still an issue?

I’ve got Space Engineers uninstalled at the moment so I can’t confirm it myself.

photo

It's still an issue. Here's to another 8 months.

photo

Also experiencing this. The bug first occurred around the same time it did for you and it's still ongoing.

photo
photo

Waiting for this bug to finally get fixed. Warfare update 2 didn't fix it.

photo

C'mon 17 months !!!

photo

The music is so good, it's a shame. I never thought such a small thing would annoy me that much.

photo

Well now about a year later (all together about 2 and a half years later), I come and hope to see what Automatons brings us... MONO!

photo

Any news on this please?

photo

Rising the post again.

photo
photo

Still present in v1.203.

I'm happy to suggest some great C# game dev books that cover audio mixing for stereo channels.

photo

Seconded, still hearing it in 1.203.023.

It's a shame, Karel's score sounds great when correctly played back in stereo. Playing it in mono robs new players of that awesome experience. :(

photo
photo

I'm still having this issue in 1.203.024

photo

I played the first build of the game eariler today for the hell of it... the audio sounds perfectly stereo to me. WTH keen???

photo

So it's almost like they actually have the solution to the issue =/

photo
photo

bruh

photo

Launched it again. Still happening.

Launched the First Release and music is indeed in stereo...

Leave a Comment

Attach a file