Space Engineers saying GPU is overheating

Erik shared this bug 45 days ago
Need More Information

Hello since buying my new PC Space Engineers has been consitantly crashing randomly every 20 to 30 minute'. Its anoying me very much. Its saying my gpu is overheating, i monitored it and it is definitly not overheating. Attatched is a crash log. Hope you can help me i couldn't find a solution online.

Specs:

I9-14900KF (Does not suffer from the microcode issue)

RTX 4090 Founders Edition.

All my drivers are up to date.

Ive reinstalled the game

reinstalled all my drives yet it doesn't help

Could you help me?

Replies (5)

photo

I have read that some newish intel CPUs have a performance issue that requires the CPU to be under clocked.The fault often reports the problem with the GPU, but it was discovered, by a game dev team that the fault was with the CPU. Some of the CPUs had to be replaced as the fault was permanent, but do not take my word for it, I would suggest you read up on intel news, forums, videos, etc. ASAP.

photo

I know about the issue. Its what i reffered to to when i talked about the microcode issue.

photo
photo

According to Wikipedia Intel has extended the warranty period on your CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_Lake#Two-year_warranty_extension_for_certain_models

The problem is affecting Gen 13 and 14 processors running 65w and over.

photo

While this is true. My cpu doesn't suffer from this. If this would be the case other games would also be affected. And i knew about the issue and updated my bios as soon as the fix came out. This didn't affect the crashes

photo
photo

Hello Erik,

thank you for reaching our forum with this problem that you are experiencing. We are sorry that it is happening to you in a first place.

Sadly, the error "HRESULT: [0x887A0005]" that you are having the logs, suggest that there is actually problem rather with your HW, then actually with the game.

The problem/error mentioned is a hardware-related issue which usually caused when the GPU is overheated/overclocked or PCI port malfunctions. To resolve this you could try the following steps;

Check GPU/system temps/voltages with something like HWMonitor - if temperature issues, check GPU and system fans are clean and running

Switch GPU driver settings to high-performance (i.e. not quality/high quality)

Update to the latest GPU drivers (or try clean installation)

Update your OS

If the GPU/system is over-clocked, revert to stock clock speeds

It is also possible that the port/card is just not seated properly.

If the issue still occurs after performing these steps, try the following workarounds as well;

Verify your game files on Steam - right-click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Installed Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file (it means your game configuration will be deleted) - you can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Delete ShaderCache folder - same access as SpaceEngineers.cfg

Also, try disabling all other displays except one or try to change the multi-monitor setup.

Please let me know, if anything here above helped you with the problem. If not, please provide me new logs from the game from the current time.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I had a post about this almost two months ago. I didn't get it resolved unfortunately. You can go take a look at my post, there are tons of comments and other log files there, some with additional details and things to try. It did try a lot of things and maybe one will work for you.

I still think SE has an issue with 4090 cards. A lot of the crashes with similar logs within the last year or two have mentioned they are using a 4090. I hope you have better luck getting this resolved, because I would really like to play the game without crashing.

photo

I tried again after almost 2 months, but it still crashes. I have turned off the overlays to see if that was affecting it, but that was not it. I have updated my closed post for completion.

photo

Yes i also think SE has a problem with the 4090 cards. Maybe a dumb question but from which manufacture do you have your 4090? And do you also run dual screens? I have tried everything to fix the problem so its sad to see that a few people have this issue because the game is just unplayable or enjoyable like this. Mine crashes randomly every 15 to 20 minutes i hope the new contact update would have some hotfix that they didn't announced but mine still suffers from it. I hope they help you and it also fixes mine issue from what i can read from your entry's you have a deeper knowledge of pc's. Can you send me a message if you have more info. I will test the advice given above by keen tomorrow since i have just gotten back from holiday. And wanted to see if the contact update changed anything.

photo

Yes, sure. To answer your questions:

• Mine is the 4090 Founders Edition.
  • I have dual 1440p 144hz monitors.

I posted an update to my post with a "fix" (it works, but I don't like it). I turned the grass density to 0 and set the grass draw distance to the lowest it can go. Keep your graphics settings high though. For some reason if you lower the resolution below the screen resolution or lower the graphics setting it will also be unplayable/crash. I also have post processing turned off and autosave turned off. This weekend I am going to be trying a few more experiments to see if post processing and autosave actually affect the crashing or if it was the grass.

Keen QAD if you are reading this, reach out to me on my post, I don't mind setting up QA tests with you guys and running them to get this resolved.

photo

Hello Nar,

I also have the 4090 Founders Edition.

And also run a dual screen setup both 1440p one 180hz and one 60hz

So i think we both have the same issue and i dont believe its my HW like keen suggested

I will try your fix to see if it also works for me.

photo
photo

OP:

When you say "It's saying my GPU is overheating" - what, exactly, is "it?" What file/process is creating the error, and in what exact/specific form & manner is it being displayed or otherwise communicated? (Dialogue with window/process image name, error string pulled from log, SE's own crash report dialogue, one of your hardware monitors or injected/sideloaded overlays, etc)?

Both of you:

Do you have your GPU power profile set to max for SE? And are you limiting framerate through the driver itself (control panel or nvinspector), or through RTSS (or other)? What are you seeing for GPU temps (ideally from Afterburner) both at idle and at the moment your crash occurs? Are your GPU fans set to be always-on even at low temps? Are you running default Tdr values? Do you have your OS graphics preferences set to "High Performance" (which should be your 4090) for SE, and do you have your integrated GPU (if present and/or if you've unlocked it on the KF chip) disabled in the bios? GFE / Shadowplay are disabled already for testing, I presume?

Note:

The error string HRESULT: [0x887A0005] in this case is not significant to the troubleshooting process. That's a generic DX code that (in practice) tends to get thrown whenever a rendering process loses its ability to communicate with the GPU for any reason - which could be (and most commonly is) caused by what's called a "hard" driver crash... which in turn can be caused by almost anything. What is clear from the log posted is that SE itself doesn't "know" why it's crashing; this is a (very) strong indication of a configuration or other lower-level problem rather than a 1st-order or higher-level app problem.

photo

Hello,

SE is giving the GPU is overheating error with the log provided above. When it happens my game freezes for a second or a few and then it crashes and profides the log sometimes it crashes so hard i dont get the log and need to force close the game. It doesn't matter what im doing in the game its completely random.

i also use a m.2 so i dont think its a harddriver crash if thats what you ment and none of my other games suffer from this issue its isolated to SE. So thats why i think the game has a problem and not my pc.

Also if i monitor my temps they never go above 50 so it cant be overheating. Nor is it overclocked and all of my drivers are always up to date.

photo

PJ R, I have a two posts on this as well called "Game Crashing, Graphics Driver Crash". The first one has a ton of comments on the things I have tried to resolve the issue. HRESULT is very generic and has been pointed out to me by others before, which is why this has been difficult to pin down what is wrong.

Most of your questions should be answered in my other post, but here is a few answers:

1. Was set to high. Recently updated my drivers and that reset it to normal. So I have tried with High and Normal settings.
  2. Not limiting frame rate. Tried with Vsync (in game), tried with setting it in the NVIDIA control panel.
  3. GPU temps are 39C idle, doesn't go over 55C in game.
  4. GPU fans are NOT set to always-on.
  5. Not sure about the OS graphics preferences. Don't really have an option to change it. Not running a battery powered machine.
  6. I have disabled integrated graphics, but I currently don't know what it is set to.
  7. I have enabled and disabled various overlays including steam, windows game bar, and RTSS.

From my latest batch of experiments I am finding that the grass is causing something to happen to the game. Please see my second topic post where I explain the experiment I did with grass settings.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file