[1.203.630 b0 default] Piston max distance increase is inconsistent

Stephen Conklin shared this bug 34 days ago
Need More Information

So, With a button, you can increase the max distance of a piston by 0.5m. With a timer, the distance increased varies between 1.5m and 10m. With an Event Controller, it also increases the max distance by between 1.5m and 4.5m. What's going on? It's so hard to make precision automated mechanisms with values that are so all over the place.

As an example, I had a drill set up to have the Event Controller extend a piston every time it makes a 180° arc across a lake. The first activation, it extended to 4.5m. The second activation, it extended by 1.5m to 6.0m. The 3rd activation, it extended by 3.5m to 9.5m. This is insane! It's so inconsistent. And this was after having issues, verifying file integrity, and ultimately re-installing the game because I couldn't get it to trigger at all.

Edit: I just ran it again, and the first distance increase was 5.5m If you're going to have the max distance vary, then give us a slider or something to choose how far it extends on a max distance increase; random extensions in this context are not a good thing.

World for review

Replies (2)

photo

After some testing, it appears that Experimental mode (which is needed to run scripts) is the culprit here, as unchecking it in Game options and starting a new world alleviates the issue. So it's the piston code for Experimental that needs addressed in this case.

photo

Hello, Stephen!

Thank you for writing to us and we sincerely apologize for the issue you have been experiencing.

Could you kindly provide us with more information about the issue?

Did the world save where you experienced this issue have any MODs or Scripts that you have removed after this issue occurred? The reason for asking this is that as you mentioned the issue didn't seem to occur when the Experimental Mode was disabled, so we were curious to know if that was the case.

Additionally, could you send us screen recordings/videos showing the piston behavior how it worked correctly when the experimental mode was Disabled, and how the same process was faulty when the Experimental Mode was Enabled?

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

No. No Mods; you have a link to the world on the workshop in the main report. No scripts that affect pistons, either. I only even thought to turn off Experimental mode because I was talking with Dan2D3D on the SE Discussions about this and the thought struck me when I said that the only thing "non-standard" about the conditions of the world were that I had Experimental mode turned on. And I don't know how to record video of game play. The only thing I can tell you is that with Experimental on, the pistons' max distance changes every time it's increased. and with it off, it's 0.5m every single time. Perfectly repeatable. I'm about to load the world and remove all grids with scripts (there are only the two ships that have them, so, it shouldn't be hard to do, and test afterward, though I doubt they have anything to with it, but it's worth a try nonetheless.

Edit: Alright. I have done all that, and here are my findings;

1. Scripts are not the cause of the issue; I removed all grids from the main grid that had scripts, blueprinted just base and started a new world (no mods). With experimental on, the issue remained unchanged, with the piston, this time, first extending to 5.5m and then extending an additional 3m, to 8.5m prior to exiting the world without saving.

2. The world which I started with Experimental off, even with Experimental enabled after world creation (so it's something that occurs during world creation, depending on whether Experimental is on or off) continued to behave as expected, extending 0.5m every time the hinge reached its rightmost extreme, as monitored by Event Controller.

3. In both instances, The Timer Block is incapable of triggering the piston max distance increase when called from an Event Controller.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file