AI flight and recorder are broken in gravity

Jagodragon shared this bug 7 months ago
Won't Fix

I am trying to use the AI blocks to make a drone (as I've done several times). I've done a lot of testing for these bullet points.

- The speed does not actually reach top speed. I have the speed limit set to 50m/s but it will only reach that speed on the between start and point 0 (the first point in the recorder block). after that the speed is usually some where between 3m/s and 20m/s. I've seen it as low as 2 and as high as 30. but, never reaching max speed. I've tested this with points that were 500m-2000m apart and the distance does not seam to be the determining factor. strangely, the angle to gravity does seam to have an effect. less than 5deg incline or decline in the drones path seams to perform best. (all of the issues here are after point 0).

- Collision avoidance is hit or miss as to weather it works. I was super excited thinking that the issues above would be fine with the improved collision avoidance. The first couple of runs went fine. after that it didn't even try to avoid anything and just made a straight line for the next point... I tried several speed settings and ground clearance settings. ground clearance had no impact on performance.

- Ground clearance settings are ignored while using a recorder block. I set a point and even when the collision avoidance worked well, it still was perfectly happy to be only a couple meters from the ground.

- Playing the game for more than on hour seams to make performance far worse for the AI blocks. this makes me scared to even try it on a server...

Replies (4)

photo

Hello Jagodragon,

Thank you for contacting us. A player in this thread also reported that their AI drone moves too slowly even though it can reach higher speed.

Another player in this thread reported that collision avoidance is not working as expected and their drone still crashes into other grids. However they were using Follow me option when testing.

Can you please have a look at both reports and let me know if the issues are the same? If not, can you please provide me with a blueprint or world save where you demonstrate the problem? I would also like to let you know that you can only report one issue per thread.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

• You can access your blueprints files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Blueprints. Select the correct folder where your blueprint is saved (local or cloud), zip the file and attach it here.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

These are very similar and could be part of the issue. There is also the fact that the ground clearance is completely ignored even when collision avoidance is still working. so that does sound like it would be a different bug.

specifically when you use the recorder block. It will start out avoiding collisions and making the trek from point a to point b autonomously (and it does it well), but it will not care about distance from ground. min ground clearance set to 50m and it does not respect that when following the pathing.

photo

Hello Jagodragon,

Thank you for clarifying. However can I ask what do you mean by ground clearance on the recorder block? Because there is no such setting on the block itself. There is, however, minimal altitude setting on the flight block. Do you mean this function combined with the prerecorded path?

Can you please also provide me with a world save or a blueprint as requested in my previous message?

Thank you for letting me know.

Kind regards,

photo

Hello Jagodragon,

As there has been no reply to this thread in some time, we will close it. If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Kind regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file