Angular desync on a large voxel-embedded grid

Usernamenotshown shared this bug 11 months ago
Won't Fix

Hello, a few months ago we started work on an asteroid station in the official servers (EU1). After building a measuring line, we noticed there was some serious desync on one side, but none on the other. The desync is still the same today. After taking a ship, turning it into a station, and building a long line, there is about 25 cm of desync vertically and horizontally, which makes us think turning into a ship and back into a station wouldn't fix the problem, leaving aside that we'd have to dig or cut out the grid from the asteroid. Is there a way to fix this? Thank you.

The line is about 800 m long, with a total desync of about 1 m.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, engineer!

Thank you for writing to us.

Could you please provide us with some additional information regarding the issue you have experienced?

Specifically, what do you mean by "vertically and horizontally desync" on the long line? Are you expecting the long line to connect somewhere on the asteroid in a straight line, but it is slightly away from your intended position?

It would be helpful if you could provide further details about the issue. Additionally, if you could share a screen recording or video showing the issue as it occurs on your end?

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, thank you for writing back.

What I mean by desync is that the model is in one place but the collision is on another. In the game this would be seeing the model but being able to fly through it, because the hitbox would be displaced somehow. And by "vertical" and "horizontal" desync I mean how much you can "sink" into the model. The screenshots that were attached are at the start and at the end of the line that is in the hangar, showing the engineer after having pushed into the wall of glass. I think it only shows the horizontal one, but at the start the character doesn't go through (right to left), but at the other end he can, and goes in about 1 meter in until the collision/physical model is reached. Vertically it would be similar, the feet would sink into the ground. It seems that this sinking happens in jetpack mode, and that when walking with magnetic boots the astronaut will bend his knees a bit, as if the center of the body was attached to the physical model but the feet were attached to the visual model.

And no, it's not about connecting a line to another, it's a single grid and it's about the physical/visual interaction with the player and ships that may interact with it. If I can get any other information that could be useful just tell me

photo

It doesn't let me upload the file here, one moment

photo
photo

Hello, Usernamenotshown,

thank you for the additional information. However there is no one of your name on that server. Can you please give me GPS coordination of your build and information whether you are playing on EOS or Steam?

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

photo

Hello, and again thank you for writing back.

As I told Gorwyn, the base was vaporized so sadly no more tests can be done, but with the scale of the project, it's possible the problem may appear again. Next time I'll add all the information in the main post. Just for the record, username Kirssar and server Steam EU1. I won't mind posting the coordinates of the station next time, but as side feedback I think it would be useful to be able to "spoiler" data so that only devs/admins could see it. Some dedicated pirates may be reading after all.

Have a nice day.

photo
photo

Hello, Usernamenotshown,

I am sorry that your base was vaporized. Since this issue cannot be tested anymore I will have to close this thread.

However, if you do encounter this problem again in the future please contact us. If you are not comfortable posting personal information here, you can send us an email where you describe your issue and add a link to the newly created thread there so we can find it. Here is the email address: support@keenswh.com

Kind Regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file