Inertial dampener thrusters firing when docked with another grid

Richard Karcher shared this bug 11 months ago
Won't Fix

I have a large grid carrier/transport and a small grid mining ship, when the mining ship is docked to the carrier through connectors or landing gear the carrier's inertial dampeners will randomly engage and are very audible (the volume is normal and not the problem, just context). I use realistic sound if its relevant.

After doing some testing involving powering off the mining ship's thrusters, then the mining ship itself, and then repeating the process docked with landing gear instead of a connector, the problem persisted. I then noticed that occasionally while standing in my ship (mag boots, zero gravity) my speed would flicker to 0.01m/s. I then tested turning off the carrier's inertial dampeners (mining ship had its thrusters disabled at the time) and I went several minutes without hearing the thrusters fire before I turned the inertial dampeners back on. As soon as I did the noise returned. It should be noted that the ship did not noticeably move during the time the dampeners were disable and my speed remained 0.00m/s the entire time. On top of this, I tested how the ship performed when stopping and the deceleration once under 0.5m/s felt off, as in it didn't feel smooth like it always does and felt jittery.

What I can assume is happening is that there is some small amount of collision occurring between the grids that is occasionally enough for the inertial dampeners to count the ship as "in motion" and fire to halt said motion, even if only at incredibly low power. However, any amount of thrust triggers the both the firing and wind down sounds.

Replies (3)

photo

Upon further testing, by turning off each direction of thrusters and checking for a thruster noise, it appears that the inertial dampeners are not actually firing as the noise occurs for every direction while also not draining any hydrogen (no other thruster type). I now believe that it is a sound bug, rather than a physics bug. There is also a hissing sound that coincides with the thruster noise that I cannot recognize.

Edit: Further testing shows that the thrusters will still fire even if the grid is converted to a station. If the sound is present when converted, the sound will stay at its current level indefinitely, but if no sound is present it will not start. The hissing however, remains but at a much quieter level.

photo

Hello, Richard!

Thank you for writing to us.

Based on your description, it seems that the thruster sound issue you mentioned is similar to the issue reported on this thread.

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/thruster-sounds-in-directions-that-have-no-thrusters

Furthermore, we have noticed that the thruster sound problem occurring when turning the ship to the station aligns with an issue previously reported in another thread.

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/27627-ship-movement-sounds-continue-playing-indefinitely-after-convert-to-station

Could you please confirm if these issues align with what you are experiencing? If not, could you kindly provide us with a screen recording or video showing the issue as it happens on your end? It would also be helpful if you could share the world save where you are encountering this issue.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello engineer,

As there has been no reply to this thread in some time, we will close it. If you're experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file