Server lags then grids fall through ground or clang on connectors

Jason McAlpin shared this bug 12 months ago
Won't Fix

I don't know the cause but servers will get a massive lag spike. When investigated I find grid speeds over 1000m/s. it turns out that grids that are connected to other grids by connectors will clang and imbed themselves into each other.

It is hard to tell if this is a symptom or a cause.

The only solution is to copy and embed the grid into the local voxels and turn off the connectors.

along with the connector glitch, any grid that is on the surface of any of the planets begins to fall through. this includes some bases. Not sure why some fall and the rest stay. but usually, it is rovers and any ships with thrusters turned off.

This seems to only happen for a second or two because small grids end up in the middle of the planet but large grid vehicles can end up half embedded and lag the server.

Along with these issues, it looks like affected vehicles all lose their subgrids. so rovers lose wheels, hinges rotors. any attached ships explode or are lost as it goes into the ground.

this has been happening across many of the servers and requires a lot of hunting upwards of a dozen grids. if any big ships or bases had a lot of subgrids or craft attached they all go flying off to be caught individually.

This is just a sample of some of the stuff I had to fix across multiple servers.

https://youtu.be/AqZh613_igM

Replies (7)

photo

To expand.

Had another server have the same issue. After talking to people and checking out which ships had issues it seems like it was mostly anything with a subgrid. My ship and base had no damage. was completely fine. My second ship with a rotor for a small projector had been torn in half by the docked ship slamming into it.

When I asked for a headcount of the subgrid idea everyone that answered had some subgrid on one of the ships or the rovers with their tires.

Not sure if this is causation or correlation but worth mentioning.

photo

I'd like to add a few occasions where this incident occurred on the CA #2 server:

- 04/22/2023

- 05/11/2023 around 7:30PM CST.

I was online during this last event, and I can tell the server was reloading from a restart and there was a big lag spike, causing all free floating objects, ships parked on terrain, subgrid mounted on rotors/pistons/hinges and rover wheels to shift from their original position, breaking their original connections and disappearing not long after.

Some ships shifted into terrain voxels, others were unresponsive and their gyroscope blocks weren't functioning as expected. I was forced to relog to regain control of my ship, because the world appeared blank everytime I entered the cockpit.

Subgrids fixed with magnetic plates were not affected.

photo

To expand yet again. It is related to grinding. I am working on a replicable test to know for sure.

photo

When it happened to CA#2 on the 11th, I was pushing some malfunctioning drones into our moon base's grinding pit. I could try to recreate it online, but it happened when the server was coming back from a restart.

photo
photo

Hello, Jason McAlpin,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. Have you got any save file where you noticed this behavior that you can share with me? Also any steps to reproduce would be greatly appreciated. Or do you remember on which server and what exact time this happened?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineersDedicated\Saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Jason McAlpin,

as there has been no reply to this thread in some time, we will close it. If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file