This object is in archive! 

Friends Can't Rejoin Server, Crashes to Desktop

M Glisson shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

I am hosting a server for a few friends of mine. They have been able to join just fine in the past, but latley I'm getting a problem where one of them (Lisa) crashes to desktop every time she joins the server. This started a few nights ago, and she was able to joint just fine earlier in the day. My other friend, Doug, also started to have the same problem.

The server contained a few mods, but I removed them and the problem continued. None of my friends have mods loaded onto their local machine. I believe this is very similar to an issue I have seen discussed online where people crash when they try and load back into a server and they are near an asteroid (Both Doug and Lisa are near an asteroid in the server).

I have included logs from Lisa and Doug, as well as the saved game file. The game is a "Never Surrender" scenario.

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, M Glisson!

Sorry to hear you and your friends are experiencing this problem. I can't see any crashes/exceptions in the logs, would it be possible to point out a log where a crash definitely occurred?

Does this happen specifically to this world or, if you created a new world hosted by yourself as before, would they still have the same issue?

In the current world, could you place another medical room and allow the users to choose their spawn? Does this make any difference at all? Or, do they not get that far?

Have you tried to delete the body from the admin menu at all?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello Laura,

Thank you for reaching out!

• I've uploaded a new log from Doug where a crash to desktop definitely occurred, as well as more detailed information from Doug's computer. It occurred when testing some advice on Discord, which I've discussed below. One note is that there have been times when I have had SE crash and an error message will pop up and give a link to the logs. However this is NOT what is happening to my friends. In this case there is no error message at all, SE just crashes to desktop. Not sure if the crash is captured in the logs.
  • They can join other worlds, they just can't join mine. I have not had a chance to host another game for them specifically, but but other people have been able to join other games I've hosted with no issue.
  • Not had a chance to test a medical bay farther away.
  • I have deleted there body from the admin menu, that did not seem to help in this case.

We did have some success with following advice outlined in a Discord post (Doug crashed the first time but was able to join the second time, Lisa was able to join first try). The discord post was:

"Connecting to servers with Crash To Desktop/Graphics card Overheating message.

there is an unofficial, semi-successful workaround that has been reducing this significantly on at least 2 different computers of mine, it might work, it might not...

two steps:

1, delete (or move elsewhere) the Space Engineers videos from the game folder usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Videos or if you have installed on another drive without changing the default library name steam wants to use DRIVELETTER:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Videos, delete them all, or move somewhere else.

2, delete 2 folders, ShaderCache, ShaderCache2, and all mipMapTextureCache files from the %AppData%\SpaceEngineers folder, and a Promo advert folder which has occasionally had a corrupted file in it, alternatively you can create a batch file with the lines to do this automatically, see gogole on how to create the initial batch file, it may vary from OS versions, and how you have your file view settings."

"

photo

Hello, M Glisson!

Thank you for the logs. Again, there is no exception. I would assume that if Doug went into their event viewer, there would be a mention of Space Engineers crashing there however.

When you say you have had some success, it's only reducing it and not stopping it fully I take it?

We have standard steps which are always worth trying too. Some of which you/they may have tried but I will pass them on anyway just in case. If you could also pass them to your friends and see if they can do any they have not done.

• Verify your game files in Steam

• Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

/5TYklKYdRihDg7bTaXcAEawrjXF6QLw5bzSp9fOnibuT5FzZxJyvPz3CTLVptno_nBHMHtJMmoASUs2mrfIO3_Vlf8qr9-Jh6yQsb1FF7aXeLWhRpTYZfEDlIX1JgnZGm0JMPDoFSBwQ00O63g

• Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file

• It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

• Delete ShaderCache folder

• Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it
  • Restart Steam
  • Reinstall VC Redist 2017
  • Update graphic drivers
  • Reinstall the game
  • Make sure your operating system is fully updated

Please let me know when you have tried my previous suggestions about the bodies too. Do you have an option to test hosting on a different PC at all but within the same network?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

I've been having this problem. In order to log in I have to use SE ToolBox to delete my character from the sandbox file and then It will allow me to log in one time, otherwise it will crash to desktop before any spawn options of any kind show up. Mine is just a standard multiplayer star system though.

photo

Hello, johnathon007!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing the issue too. Could you please supply a log file from when this happened?

I would also suggest you both do the following:

• Verify your game files in Steam
  • Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

/57KtbTbcCDHFsBSTg94A0RBdBitnxZT7eiJeihNrKLYhzHV5KB-CACZCYgJehhTS1NcXBvL7_aBHMUC-6xkz-cPIP1JNJfe-q5k3PRIuZI5EvEuzuqZgp8-rBAqU6JcM1q4biQnlacXeygDeoQ

• Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file
  • It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.
  • Delete ShaderCache folder
  • Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it
  • Restart Steam
  • Reinstall VC Redist 2017
  • Update graphic drivers
  • Reinstall the game
  • Make sure your operating system is fully updated

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineers!

I would also like to direct you to my colleague's thread here: https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/25089-crash-to-desktop-on-official-server-join which would also be worth reading. A user is also experiencing a similar issue. My colleague has given some other useful steps.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!