Custom turrets ignore aiming deadzones. (Auto turret)

Tommy Klæstad shared this bug 2 years ago
Need More Information

Hi,

i recently did some testing and found out that the turrets I make with the Custom Turret Controller will ignore their Aiming limitations and stay locked to a specific target (even a single thruster) when outside the possible aiming field.

this makes the turrets ignore potential threats which are still flying. to make it stop locking I have to destroy said part.

As you can see on the attached picture, the gatling turret does not have this issue.

Regards,

Tommy.

Replies (2)

photo

Hello, Tommy!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues. I have tried to reproduce the setup from your screenshot but am unsure of what settings you have and although understand the outcome, unsure how you achieved this. Would it please be possible to share the save file with any reliable steps to reproduce the issue? I think this would be easier for me to hopefully reproduce and ultimately report if I experience the same thing :) Please make sure that this is a mod-less save as we do not provide support for mods. (I appreciate there are none in the log)

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

It's pretty straight forward. Start a new creative save on Earth (easy start).

then build a rotor+hinge custom turret on an elevated "Box" with power.

Custom turret controller and enable AI.

if you spawn in something (and change ownership), that then falls below the horizontal line of said "Box" it will still aim at it even when it cannot possibly hit it.

if you then spawn a new enemy, it will not change targets to the one it can hit.

photo

Note, if you move the turret manually to face the new spawned entity it will change targets, but the problem arise again when it drops below the platform and you spawn a new target.

photo

in this last picture i built a larger tower to see if the height difference mattered, as you can see on the image turrets (to the right) are both aiming at the downed ships below their view and not on the new ship (3).

I will add, that if the target is behind a structure, it will actually change targets.

Building blocks around the rotor "fixes" this issue as the target is occluded by blocks, the same goes for terrain.

photo

last test for today, now the upper turret will not recognize targets at all, new save with all turrets and entities attached.

photo

Hello, Tommy!

Thank you for the new save, I was having the same issue with the first file. So far, I have been testing this with a few different blueprinted ships and it seems to be changing focus without issue. I will keep testing this and see if I can reproduce your issue :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

great :) let me know if you want me to test something or if you need anything else.

photo

Maybe it is related to "threat score" of the industrial hydrogen thrusters? as it seems to be those it is locked to when they get separated from the ship.

photo

Hello, Tommy!

I have still been unable to reproduce the issue. Is it only affecting those with the threat score mentioned? Has it happened at all to anything else?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

I can confirm that the issue with the CTC targeting things outside its own field of movement is still an issue. And it does seem to want to target Industrial hydrogen thrusters quite often.

photo

Hello, Tommy!

I have still been unable to reproduce your issue sadly. I notice you and andersenman have been in discussion. Is the file provided by andersenman one that is relevant to your issue? Is this one that could be looked at and possibly reproduced or, not quite the same as your original issue? :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

it can be classified as the same issue.

the main problem is how it refuses to re-target when the target is no longer possible to hit. unless obscured by terrain or blocks. it should be pretty apparent.

photo

Hello, Tommy!

Thank you for confirming, I will continue to look at this :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo
photo

Ignoring targeting preferences for a minute, are deadzones even a thing for the CTC? Can, and does, the CTC retrieve the angle limits from associated rotors and hinges to "know" its permitted arcs, as well as the orientation of their respective bases against the world coordinate system, just to be able to figure out within which arcs it was even "permitted" to lock onto targets before doing so.

This sounds to me like an unusually excessive amount of targeting sophistication, so I dare doubt that the CTC even has such a thing as a concept of deadzones. (Note: This is about firing arcs, not about FOF check to avoid hitting friendly grids.)

As such, if anything, that would be a feature request, not a bug. Unless of course deadzones from rotor limits are in fact an intended feature that somehow doesn't work.

photo

My biggest issue with this is how it locks to a particular part and stays locked until it is destroyed, even if a larger threat appears. I've had custom turrets lock to a single small grid small hydrogen thruster, meanwhile a new enemy tear my base apart :) But yes I suspect you are onto something here.

I've found that occluding said block with terrain or other blocks is an ok workaround for the issue though.

photo

Yes, this sounds like "As expected", or "By design", if perhaps not quite "As desired". (… at least while you're on the receiving end of the attack. As the attacker, why yes, I'll happily take the accidental decoy function of detached thrusters, thank you very much.)

Anyhow: Would Forget target force a new acquisition even when no target was explicitly copied before? Chances might be the thruster is no longer as interesting as any remaining attacker grids. It seems not, or not reliably so. (See below.)

photo

Haha yes i would also welcome a custom turret not ripping my ship apart :D

The frustrating things is that "Forget Target" is greyed out, even while it has a target locked. See attached pictures.

Edit: even locking to it with a cockpit, and then trying to forget it results in a greyed out button.

Edit2: it seems that cycling target options will make it recalculate threat scores. It will however still go back to whatever it was targeting first if the new one is destroyed.

photo

This is the amount of occlusion you need for a 6 gatling hinge turret aiming at something quite close, it gets ridiculous quite fast.

photo

Ok, I just tested it myself, and I used a timer to trigger Forget target even though it's greyed out.

I found:

• Once a target is locked, it stays locked until it is destroyed or otherwise removed. (Or maybe it just looks like it remains locked but in fact is reaquired immediately after "forgetting" it.)
  • After losing a target, "forgetting and retargeting" sometimes works exactly once. Not sure why, could be a bug, can't quite see a pattern.

Here's a test world:

be4596760cc8cede4006aad8d5e6381a

In this worldfile (attached), the turret rotor is limited to ±45° and the hinge to 0° and 90°. The rotor at the bottom can rotate the enemy boom with a battery at the end into and out of the turret's arc. The other batteries are SPRT, too, for copying and pasting with Keep original ownership on paste active. The timer calls Forget target and restarts itself every three seconds.

Enjoy.

photo

I just found that it does however retarget if you fly a new potential enemy in front of the deviation arc.

Edit: Thanks for the file!

photo

That does not match my observation. However, I readily admit I have only tested this with batteries, and only with spawning and deleting them, never with other blocks or by actually moving them into and out of arc or targeting range. If it turns out those things matter, then my observations would indeed paint an incomplete picture.

photo

It only seems to work because you occlude the original target with new blocks (different grid), forcing it to retarget. So my observation is kind of irrelevant anyways.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file