This object is in archive! 

Gaming Freezing Repeatedly, At Random. Unplayable.

Evan Olson shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

Submitting this after I sent a ticket and was asked to submit it here. Game is constantly having micro-freezes (between 30 second to four minutes), happens to often (probably 4-5 times every 30 minutes) game is basically unplayable.

To clarify right away I have already tried (in roughly this order): Changing game settings (lowest possible, highest, etc), turning off Voxel detail specifically, playing with display method (windowed full screen vs full screen), a fresh uninstall & reinstall of the game(multiple times), reverting graphics drivers to try the current and the last version of them, performing the file copy from the Mod SDK Tools download that I saw mentioned online, running a system file verify / repair on my computer itself. None of these have solidly fixed the issue, so here I am.

The issue specifically: My game keeps freezing. Importantly, not 'crashing', but freezing. It happens in Offline or Multiplayer w/ friends (the two modes I play). It has even happened once on the menu screen so it doesn't seem to be related to being in a world. What happens is that the whole game just freezes for a short period: usually between thirty seconds to three minutes. It always comes back. Sometimes has one freeze and is fine, sometimes freezes once, unfreezes briefly, and then does it again.

Some things I've noticed:

- When I'm *Hosting* a multiplayer session ('Friends' option when loading world), it actually freezes the whole server, tells my friend connection is interrupted but it does not kick them from the session and they can come back when it unfreezes.

- The freeze 'Stutters' sometimes, as in it holds on to some of the input I give it and seems to unfreeze for a millisecond or three to jerk my screen around. On a multiplayer server, my friend observed that mid-way through one freeze despite me having taken my hands of the keyboard, my character briefly turned and moved before going still again.

ALSO: PC Specs. Running Windows 10, i7 processor with 2tb SSD, Nvidia 3070 for graphics and 32gb RAM. And DX is up to date.

Replies (3)

photo

Evan, have you tried a single player game with the option 'Adaptive simulation quality' turned off? I'm unsure of this, however I'm guessing servers would have it turned on by default to help out with the load.

I'm not saying this is a fix, just kinda sounds like something I'm going through and to just about play the game I've had to turn it off (unchecked it and use Vsync option in Nvidia control panal).

In-game, press 'shift+f11' once will do, look at the server simulation cpu load (I think it'd be that one) is the number bouncing low to high? Try this in a new single player game with and without the option 'adaptive simulation quality'.

Post your finding's back on here, hopefully Keen notice it, then again maybe they won't.

If it is indeed close to what I've gone through then it's a step closer to finding the problem, I hope.

photo

I have actually tried in Single player, it's one of the things that I tried on a whim. I didn't think it would work as the freezing has even happened twice on the main menu, and sure as heck, even single player with adaptive simulation turned off still freezes.

FUNNILY ENOUGH in the couple weeks since I started and have been waiting for Keen's response I actually found a psuedo-fix. I say psuedo because it fixes it for a while but then the issue returns.

Basically, deleting the ShaderCache2 file and deleting the 'SpaceEngineers.cfg' file will fix the freezes. Sometimes. For a while. I mean those both literally as 'Sometimes' it fixes it, or sometimes I run the game again and it's still happening. And 'For a while' when it does get fixed, the game runs great! And then at random the freezes start again.

I do appreciate your feedback though Sk1ns! Been struggling with this. It's rough because I had about 80 hours of the game logged with No Problems prior to the last few weeks and this freezing issue.

photo

No probs, was a hit or miss with this game and with different hardware.

I've gone as far as disable the HPET in hardware, device manager, which is helping me with SE (and has let the ingame news feed to work again, very odd) but who knows with any other game. Never had to before the last update. Never had to use Vsync on, always used fast option untill now.

I know what you mean, shouldn't be used as a fix though, having to reconfig ingame settings and key bindings every single time the cfg file is deleted.

Are you using any overlay's from Nvidia or steam? If I recall they have been known to cause such a problem when on the main menu screen.

photo

I have the Steam overlay turned off, but now that you mention it I do have the Nvida geforce overlay that runs. I'll probably try running it without that for a bit and see if that changes anything.

photo

I've been getting freezes since I bought SE recently. During the freeze, effects from tools still emit sparks but I was unable to move or do anything for a solid 5+ minutes. Tried fixing some crashes in an unrelated game just now and it looks like it might have made the problem manageable, maybe even fixed in SE. Although I dont know if our freezes were caused the same way, but it does sound similar.

Try disabling "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator" Not sure if this will work since I still gotta play more to be sure. Been playing for a couple hours. It only froze once so far but I didnt wait for it to unfreeze.

What I tried.

Open up Device Manager from search bar.

Click the drop down arrow for Software Devices

Right click and disable Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator

photo

Hello, Evan!

Is this still an issue for you? If so, is this something that has started happening recently? Have there been any changes at all? After an update? After any Hardware updates etc? Is this happening in other games?

I appreciate you have tried some things but our general first advice is the below

• Verify your game files in Steam

• Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

/bfSnH0rGoN-NgctSWBJN3LfvWZvgnfye9BrPgucxV0n8TDpNc-7yZYwSifdRXyl1quu20KGUNmHzSf6VGRbhWS4a_EYn2MclxJSOz6eVarmz-fhTWVaofVOAVZN_l_leF9dgQ5GF

• Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file

• It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

• Delete ShaderCache folder

• Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it
  • Restart Steam
  • Reinstall VC Redist 2017
  • Update graphic drivers
  • Reinstall the game
  • Make sure your operating system is fully updated

Please let me know how you get on :)

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!