This object is in archive! 

[UI/HUD/Textures Improvements] Visual Improvements for Achromate/Colorblind Players

Romans shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello! I'm an Achromate player, and i'm here asking for some features that could be so much useful, for achromate/colorblind player in vanilla game.

The main features that i'm asking now are 3:

1) The minerals/ores textures are so much confusing for players like me: i cnanot see what is the ore and what is the stone in each type of system, planet or asteroid. SO for now i'm going to mine randomly near the signal but it takes a lot of time, and a lot of stone mined searching for the ore.

Something like and highlight round the ores area between ore and stone, or a way to enlight the ore are some ideas that i figured it out (i'm talking for achromate player, so no colors recognition).

2) A feature to make more contrasted all kind of signals, teams, GPS, enemies, etc.

In my case i have so much difficulty to see the signals round the hud, in particular enemy signals. Text size too small (i'v ein options the ui scale at maximu, 100%), and low contrats with the ambience, so some resizer for signal only or per signal, (hud rescale that reach also the 150% or 200%), an option to make more contrast and remove the opacity of the signals (text and the text shadows). They could be some useful ideas.

3) Maybe the useless request...the progression tab on the G menù. In my case, as achromate, i cnanot litterally see if a block/item is locked or unlocked. Each time i've to go there and try to drag it...if i can drag it is unlocked, if not it is still locked. If locked i need to search for the root to unlock...and restart the process to understand if locked or not.

As now, i think these are the most necessary features usefull, for achromate players (that for sure could be useful also for any colorblind player).

Hope this will read from any kind of players, also who has no visual impair and considered to make more equality in game and to help players like me.

Thank you all for attention and good game ;)

Replies (5)

photo

In the meantime. Would it be possible to modify the color of the ore patches for Romans as a MOD? There is a broken mod on the workshop by the name of "Easier to See Ore Spawns" but we don't haven't had any luck getting the author to fix it. I've tried myself to create a new mod that modifies the "add" PNG files for the vanilla planets/moons but haven't had any luck. So I haven't been able to help. I'm not sure what color would be most helpful but I tried black with a value of 255. But I don't think I managed to make the local mod work correctly. I'm not achromate/colorblind. But I wanted to help. Maybe a dev involved in planet creation could really help. Thanks!

photo

Yes, please! I myself may be so lucky as to have normal color sight, but even then this Fifty-shades-of-female-hygiene-product-commercial-test-liquid-blue design is an insult to human vision and is in dire need of modernization.

If Keen really wants to put quality of life as their focus for the next major release, the GUI should be at the absolute top of the list, for the GUI is what makes ANY content that could possibly be in the game accessible, or not accessible, in the first place.

Obligatory:

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/icons-need-color-ore-icons-components-icons-ammunition-icons-give-them-some-color#comment-3099

photo

Bump.

photo

In addition i would like to report that also the "aim markers" on the crosshair, while shooting to enemy ships, are litterally INVISIBLE to people like me.

Thank you

photo

Remember to vote, folks, to not let such good and important ideas drown in oblivion. Even if you have full colour vision, you may have a friend who is not so lucky. Or you might gain a friend who is not so lucky but won't if it wasn't for Keen's bad UI/UX design.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file