This object is in archive! 

Crash to desktop when joining/starting game.

Pyxaron Dragon shared this bug 3 years ago
Won't Fix

Hi,

I've been having repeatedly that bug, where the game crashes to desktop right after displaying the MOTD on any multiplayer server, and sometimes when loading a single player game too.

Here's what it gave me when i last tried to join my own dedicated server. The same issue is happening with Keen CA #2, so i can assume it's not mod related.

I did the local file integrity verification, no change.

There is no overclocking on my system, and the video card is not overheating. The system was idle for hours before i attempted to re-launch SE. It does not give me any message related to a driver crash in the system logs, and there is none of the display flickering usually associated with a graphics card crash.

The only thing i can see is that there was a .NET runtime error at that time showed up in the application logs for windows.

I've also submitted the dumps for the 01:20 CTD via the crash reporter built into SE when it asked me.

I've re-attempted to join a few minutes later, after backing up the logs, and it went just fine.

This problem only occurs when joining, there's no random spontaneous CTDs or anything of the kind. It seems to always crash right as it's about to switch from displaying the loading splash screen to the game itself.

Replies (10)

photo

Just to add something, i've noticed that it'll crash repeatedly when trying to join the same servers, but sometimes joining another unrelated server, leaving, then re-attempting with the original one works.

Is it possible something is kept in cache somewhere that shouldn't be?

photo

Try deleting the contents of your ShaderCashe folder - that worked for me having the same issue.

photo

Hello, Pyxaron,

thanks for letting us know. Just by your description, I wasn´t able to reproduce the crash in game. However, after looking into the log and by some little research, I noticed, that you are using Win7. And the exception in logs you provided points to conflict in Win7 vs DX11.

So, my suggestion is: first try to delete ShaderCache as Michael suggests above (that´s easier solution) and run the game again, so new shader cache folder would be created with new fresh data in it.

If this won´t help, next possible thing I can think of is updating Windows to latest version and try it again.

If the game still be crashing, please apply manually some patches for this win7/DX11 conflict (you can find those online).

Please let me know if any of the suggestions worked.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

This happens to me aswell, sent atleast 5-6 crash reports. Deleting shader cache doesnt do anything, starting as admin doesnt do anything. V-sync on/off doesnt do anything. Downclockin gpu (gtx 1080) doesnt work. Increasing cooling isnt helping.

Windows 10 up-to-date

Gpu drivers up-to-date

photo

Yeah, i can confirm that clearing the ShaderCache does fix the problem when it happens.

photo

Hello,

Pyxaron, awesome. Glad it´s working for you.

Qvi5t, I´m sorry you are experiencing this. Can I please see a log for your crashes?

Kind Regards

photo

Hello, Engineers!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

photo

Getting the same since the last big update from steam on my server. It's definitely something to do with my hardware config because other folks can join my third party server with no issues it seems.

It's just getting very irritating as I pay a lot each month for a server everyone can play on but me at the moment 🥺

photo

Even a remote client connection doesn't work. Rebooting the server sometimes works, but not long after gameplay it will fail at connecting anyone again.

photo

I am now having this problem on Keen NA#2 server. I am running an i5-10400 non overclocked cpu. I have 16 mgs of ram with xmp enabled running at 3200mhz. Windows 10 Home. EVGA GTX 1660 super. All drivers and updates are current. I have over 8000 hours in SE and have been playing since a year after it first came out on steam so I know the game pretty well. I'm not a noob.

I am only having this problem on Keen NA#2 I have played regularly on this server for some time. The problem started yesterday but has happened very irregularly in the past but never to this extent. It may be related or not but it would happen maybe once in a while but I could always just reload the game and it would log back in fine. Now I cannot join the server at all unless I don't spawn at my safe zone, see details below. I can log into NA#3 and 1 with no problems. I have cleared both shader cache and shader cache 2 with no change.

I have some new info to report. It seems to be location based. The only time I crash to desktop when joining NA#2 is when I am in a cryo or try to spawn in my safe zone. I have confirmed this with the help of another player in my faction. If I'm dead and he turns off all spawn points inside the zone I can spawn in a moon pod, no problem, no crash, which is nearby the zone or on my ship when it is outside the zone. We tried outside of render range at a few hundred km, at 1.1km from the zone but in render range, and literally right outside the zone and I can respawn on the ship outside the zone. However, when the ship is moved back into the zone or I try to respawn at another spawn point in the zone, it crashes to desktop once in message of the day screen. Sometimes when it crashes, it locks up my computer and freezes on the MOD screen and I cannot access task manager or the task bar to shut down the game. I have to log out of windows or restart the computer. So something about the zone or the grids inside the zone is causing the issue.

The safe zone has a static station that is embedded into an asteroid. It has two utility ships that are docked to the station with connectors only. It has my combat ship which is docked to the station with connector only and the one we were using to move in and out of the zone with to test respawning. And a jump ring that is a static grid inside the zone but not docked or touching the station or asteroid. Also a small grid landing gear locked to one of the utility ships. All grids are under the pcu limit. The station and combat ship are about 7500 pcu. The utility ships are about 4000 pcu and the jump ring is about 1000 pcu. The small ship is probably a few hundred pcu. So we do not have excessive pcu in one location.

We are going to try and move each of the grids out of the zone today and see if they are causing the issue. They only thing I was doing different yesterday was using the jump ring. I was docking to the jump ring with a connector and merge block to my combat ship inside the zone and then jumping out to hunt other players at strong signals far away. I docked and undocked from the ring a few times. The docking procedure is to merge and connect with the ring while it is a station, then convert to ship and jump. Then convert to station undock from the ring and convert the ship back to a ship, leaving the ring a station as it has no thrusters or gyros. I did this multiple times during my searching. The first problem I encountered was that after undocking from the jump ring back inside the zone. I convert to station in the zone, undock the ship and convert it back to a ship and then I as getting the roll bug. Where the ship would not roll. It will pitch and yaw but when you try to roll it rebounds back in the opposite direction or rolls slowly or not smoothly or when you get out of the ship and use the remote control it actually jumps around like 20 meters left and right and causes my character camera to rotate around with the ship. So I tried relogging to fix this, No affect. flying another ship and leaving render range, no affect. I had another player get in the control seat as it kinda resembles the connector bug and that fixes the connector bug. No affect. Then a restart happened and no affect, then later another restart and that did seem to fix it but then I could not relog into the server. So that is when we started moving the ship away from the zone or shutting off all the spawn points and having me respawn in a moon pod. So we suspect it may have something to do with the jump ring as I don't use that grid very often and that is the only thing I did different yesterday.

I know this is long but I want you to have all the details to see if there is some little thing that is causing it. Will update later when I have my faction mate move the ship out of the zone so I can rejoin the server as I cannot right now. Then we will move the ring out of the zone and see if the ring is causing the problem.

photo

Ok, so we tried moving all the grids in and out of the zone and that had no affect. Then I tried joining the server with my alt account and it has the same problem. However, my faction mate does not. So we think it is related to the game files as my alt is using family share on steam. So I uninstalled the game and am downloading and installing it again right now.

photo

So the grids had nothing to do with it. I had the same crash to desktop when I tried to join NA2 with a family share account. Which suggested it had something to do with my game files. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Problem solved.

Replies have been locked on this page!