Crafting metal parts

Mike S shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

When crafting metal parts it would be better if there was a hierarchy to which ingots are used first.

In the 0.6.xxx you could put the ingots you wanted to use in the crafting inventory. Since there is no crafting inventory in 0.7.x, crafting metal parts pulls whatever it wants.

If I have copper, tin, bronze, iron, and steel ingots in my inventory, when crafting metal parts, I don't want to use my bronze, iron or steel ingots first. Opting for metals that are easier to obtain first like copper or tin instead. What happens now is if I crafted metal parts my Steel ingots would be used which is a complete waste of steel. Same with Bronze.

Similarly, when building with timbers, round timbers should only be used after all regular timbers are exhausted.

Replies (1)

photo

I think there should be several options to craft metal parts, one for each type of ingot, with different output. Tin and copper having the usual output of 15, iron 20, bronze 30 (since it's copper + tin) and steel 50 metal parts. That way you won't accidentally waste valuable alloys and get a bonus when you deliberately decide to melt it (although admittedly it does not make much sense volume-wise).

Smelting barbarian weapons is still the best way of obtaining metal parts though, since the barbies are everywhere, and you probably want to get rid of all those excess maces and rusted swords. You can even use the ubiquitous torches and clubs as fuel for that!

photo

Instead of adding several more options for metal parts, wouldn't it be easier if players were able to click on the input ingots to specifically select a type of ingot to use? Maybe flip through the possible combinations with left click and a designator icon, and restore the "any ingot" behaviour by right-clicking on the input ingots.

Same system could be expanded for any recipes with multiple input combinations.

photo

I thought that this issue was the main reason we originally had to put stuff into the crafting station inventory in the first place. There is a way to control this though. Pay attention and you'll notice that it always takes resources from either the front of your inventory, or the back. The problem is that for some resources, it's the front and other types of resources, it's the back! That's messed up. I really don't know how they didn't notice that. I created a bug or suggestion about that a week or two ago. It might still be easy to forget an accidentally use the wrong thing--like round timber--but if it was consistently one end or the other for every resource and every kind of crafting station, then we could reorder our stuff to ensure it uses the right one first.

I think the attempt to make it easier for us backfired a bit.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file