Relatively Small Voxel Deformations on Planets are Visible From Long Distances

Space Engineererer shared this bug 4 years ago
Won't Fix

Whenever a planetary voxel is mined away, as you move away from it, the damage will stay visible, becoming larger and larger as you move away. That often leads to even tiny holes for mining ore being visible from space, and can make bases with material mined under them seem to be floating above the hole.

While I don't expect Keen to make all voxel deformations to be perfectly represented, it would be much better that the voxel deformations become smaller until they are invisible, rather than larger. Rarely would the amount of voxel removed result in a hole as big as they are represented in the game now when viewed from long distances. Making that change would go a long way in making planets more appealing to players in the game.

Replies (10)

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.

Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.

We really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I really hope this gets addressed at some point, this issue has been plaguing SE all the way since Planets were first released. I'm surprised there isn't more support for its patching.

photo

Hey, blast from the past.

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/holes-in-planets-appear-massive-from-space.7396627/

Wouldn't hold your breath on that one!

photo

This is game-breaking. Since Keen finally acknowledged that this is a MP survival game. This really needs addressing.

photo

I was redirected here by Laura K. since she marked my post as duplicate of this one.

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/small-voxel-deformation-seen-from-space

-Please update the mentioned thread with any steps for reproducing the bug or useful information :)

Here is what works for me:

Start a new system or earth, or an existing one.

-hover above earth, outside its atmosphere or gravity well

-select a spot on earth you will remember, i prefer lakes. Remember what it looks like.

-travel down to that lake and dig around in ice for a while, by hand or with some machinery.

-fly back up...

-woila, the lake looks all deformed and messed up,

on a server that means a player to torment and kill is near.

photo

Hello, error 404!

Thank you for the updated reproduction steps. Could you confirm what graphical settings you are using for this to occur?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo
photo
photo

Hello, Engineers!

Thank you for the post and updated information from error 404. I have successfully reproduced the issue and reported it internally.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello Laura.

Was this among the bugfixes in the latest update?

photo

Hi,

Any feedback on this issue ? This is plaguing PvP MP servers ...

photo

I was going to ask the same thingh.

photo
photo

Duplicate ticket with a video of this issue happening on Pertam with the current latest game version.

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/26958-minor-voxel-damage-on-planet-surface-is-visible-from-high-altitudes

photo

How many more years until this gets fixed?

photo

this bug is the main reason i don't play this game anymore. I would come back in a heartbeat. It just ruins the fun on PvP servers

photo

Yeah, this bug completely ruins ground bases. It removes the planets from the PvP game other than for sending down mining ships from time to time.

photo
photo

Hello, engineers!

After discussing the reported issue internally, we concluded that this is part of the design of our voxel system, and fixing it would require redoing the system.

Therefore, we are not moving forward with fixing this and will be closing this thread for now.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

actually thinking about this and your response. I know a major over hall of the voxel system is not realistic.

But if instead, the planets had so many "deformities" generated a day, it would essentially mask new ones that are created. Could also have them generate periodically to prevent griefers from taking screen shots to stare and compare for new damage.

Could even do meteors that contain ore or some event that actually causes this to happen.

photo
photo

this is literally why I and many others left the game. I like PvP but what's the point of planets if they are basically uninhabitable. This and the "spawn stick to player" bug just killed it all together.

Maybe the sequel will be better for PvP if that's happening.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file