This object is in archive! 

Right click drill on a voxel creating a bigger one.

Rodrigo Peetz shared this bug 5 years ago
Won't Fix

Description: Destroying a tiny voxel with any drill(hand drill, ship drill) create a bigger voxel.

Saving the game i was able to reproduce constantly.

Video showing the bug

https://youtu.be/cwN6LXFaAfk

Replies (7)

photo

Had a issue like this in space last night. I saw a little chunk like the one you saw at first and as i tried to drill it with the hand drill it would change shape from small to big and back again, i could not get rid of it with the drill. However a reload made it go away.

Would be a ship killer if you ran in to that as the tiny rock would not get (i suspect) destroyed on impact.

photo

Hello, Engineer!

We were not able to reproduce your issue. Could you please provide us with more information regarding the issue you reported? To report a bug into our system it is necessary to have reliable steps to reproduce in order for programmers to fix it.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I can provide the savegame if it helps.

photo

Just a quick update : voxel hands also triggers the bug, with a big enough voxel hand to remove all the bugged voxel at once it will regenerate again...

Seems to happen on online and offline modes

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Your save file would very helpful. Thank you.

Kind Regards

photo

I seem to be able to reproduce this issue on a mp server quite often and sometimes my ships get stuck in the voxel and the ship spazzes out and can take damage from collision hits because it will pivot around the voxel it is stuck on. The voxel that appears to be the culprit can't seem to be properly destroy by the ship drills. However hand drills can (sometimes) destroy these voxels. This may be related to the player who caused the voxel deformation using the ship drills.

Server restart didn't fix the issue.

These voxel shards are also not actually terrain voxels, but they are created in the process of removing existing voxels from the world. They are generally a rock texture while I've had them appear a few times now in an ice lake. (in the area where the ice used to be)

They can appear as large 5 by 5 meter shards of rock (usually flat in height but wide) but if drilled with a (large) grid drill setup like mine, they can be reduced to a tiny single voxel. The same can happen in reverse (single voxel to full 5 by 5 meter shard) using the same process.

It appears that the game doesn't know what to do with it and trying to deform this ghost voxel with a grid drill doesn't remove it, and can actually make it worse. At the very least it creates a indestructible voxel that can not be destroyed using ship drills or collisions, at worst, it gets stuck inside a block of the ship (usually a drill) and locks the ship in place, making it spin around the single voxel like a pivot point.

TO REPRODUCE.

build a large grid drill with multiple drill heads (a checker pattern of 6 by 6 drills will do).

Drill with right click while the drill is parked on top of an ice lake without Thrusters on. The weight of the ship (I've loaded it with cargo containers and heavy armor blocks) pushes the drills into the voxels as they are destroyed. As a result, or perhaps because multiple drills are completing for the same voxel at that moment, sometimes a voxel shard is spawned.

The shard (at least in my latest test) appeared in the center conveyor block of a large drill. This single voxel (about the size of a small block) acted like a pivot, not destroying the drill, but making the ship spaz and klang around it. Locking the ship to the surrounding terrain with a landing gear stopped the effect but unlocking the landing gear made the ship continue to spaz. Any usage of the gyro's made it spaz out severely. The effect is somewhat replicated on Multiplayer as my friend also saw the ship spaz. In order to fix the issue I had to find the block that the voxel was in, and drill out the voxel with my hand drill.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/396333173?t=00h53m39s (voxel at 54:30) minutes

/352EB5577F6884B551D9AB1D6EF58E8EAFCBFD8A/95C8113B3EE017519D2444A4D4085218BA726929ec14c28aaf1762fd7c35de7b47987237

photo

Might be kinda hard to reproduce as you need to do some drilling and wait for a voxel artifact to show as seen in the video. Also as i noted a reload fixed it on my end so a save of the world i suspect would not help.

My world was a local host offline, was using a ship drill when i saw the same kind of floating voxel as show in the video. One difference with what i saw was i tried both right click and left click with the player hand drill. As i was drilling it would randomly change size from big to small and back again but never go away entirely. I did not retry the ship drill to see if that would work.

It seems to happen when small floating voxels are created by drilling near the surface.

The voxel did have collision to the player.

photo

I have recorded a way to replicate this issue:

I also have a suspicion this happens on the SURFACE of the original object i'm drilling, I don't tend to have issues once I get below the surface level of the planet.

https://youtu.be/KC113bE1Hls

photo

Yes, it seems to happen on the planet surface.

photo

Hello. I have the same trouble with this returning voxel.. i shared my saved file i hope it helps...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1705568053

photo

The voxels spawn always on the same spot even after reloading, ands its possible to handrightclick mine them but they reappier again

photo

I went to a moon with a mining ship. As I was mining the surface, a voxel that was mined suddenly reappeared out of nowhere and completely annihilated my entire ship. Loaded a backup and tried again at a different part of the surface...same result.

photo

Hello, Engineers!

It´s quite long time from when the issue was originally posted. Is it still happening to you, or was it fixed meanwhile?

Thanks for letting us know.

Kind Regards

photo

This issue might have been fixed... Seeing as the thread stopped, while i have played since then in single player and didn't encounter this issue, it wasn't on a server.

So i can not confirm.

photo

Hello, Erwin,

thanks for coming back.

I understand that you can not fully confirm this, but since others stopped to report/urge the issue, with no new comments in recent times and you did not experiencing it for some time now, I would close this issue.

If you stumble across it again, please open new one, so we can work on it and not trying to hunt and pinpoint a bug old 23 months.

Hope you understand.

Kind Regards

Replies have been locked on this page!