Stone processing should generate cobalt or grids should be removed from cargo containers

Michael Loeven shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

With the massive nerfs to cargo capacity and the fact that stone processing does not generate cobalt I think one of two things needs to happen here for the sake of starting players sanity.

A: stone processing should generate small ammounts of cobalt

B: Preferable remove the requirement of metal grids from cargo containers to allow them to be built.

The primary issue is the difficulty in finding ore and the very limited cargo space in the current iteration of the game makes containers a absolutely critical requirement and requiring metal grids which are now a more advanced component than they used to be is crippling early game beyond sane levels. Large Grid Small cargo containers should only require basic components Small grid small containers should be removed from the game as they were always useless and now even more so

Replies (11)

photo

Yes Yes Yes, 1000 times yes!

I'm new to the game (technically, got it years ago, but only started playing now) and this issue frustrated me to the point of exiting the game and dropping it.

I had watched every tutorial I could get my hands on, and I have over 24h on the game. I never managed to get cobalt and the furthest I got was a small rover that couldn't do anything...

Please please please fix this!

photo

Seriously, for the sake of new players, fix this!

photo

My last mining ship had a bunch of large small grid containers hanging off an adv rotor cause it was all i could build at the time just an example of how ridiculous it is

photo

I bolted a cargo container to the side the drop pod even thou i had a large grid base as i could not make the large grid version.

Im a bit torn on this, one hand it really limits the starting game play storage but on the other it does add some progression to the game and not in the artificial way like the current block unlock system and makes you engineer around the problem.

photo

The issue here is for people like me. I've played the game for hours and couldn't find any (official) information about locating and mining cobalt. Because cobalt is used for making thrusters, medbay, cargo and so on, I never made it to that point even after hours and hours of gameplay.

Even making stone produce fractions of a percentage would allow me to see progress while trying to find an actual source (still think that the ore detector should be revised as I still can't figure out how to use it).

photo

Build a smal buggy. put a rotor on top. conect the rotor with a big rotorhead place a big ore detector and you see 150 m deep into the ground and you will find cobalt with ease.

besides:

the 4 thrusters have each 1 grid enough to build 1 smal "large grid" container

photo

It seems ore is found in similiar batches now, at least on the earth planet.

I found tons of concentrations of Nickel, magnesium, silicone.

And then also gold silver clumps.

And then iron, cobalt.

But i found only 1 very deep deposit of Cobalt at about 100 m deep, too deep for the small ship ore detector to find... the only way I found it was by jury rigging a large ore detector to my small grid atmospheric miner...

But yeah, from initial glance it seems quite rare, iron too as well, surprisingly.

photo

Dont get me started on the F%#&ng ore detectors 500 small grid 1k large grid would be useful only reason they have S$#t range is a cpu thrashing issue due to piss poor scanning resulting in a exponential cpu load at high range. Keen has known bout this forever never fixed

photo
photo

Cobalt is the new starting bottle neck because of metal grid.

My best tips to other player is to use survival kit / Starting ship Seat and your first basic assembler to store most of the component you can until you can refine a bit of cobalt to build the Large Grid small cargo Container.

Once you get some ice, survey by flying around the surface with your drill equip up to 3km around your starting point, I found it with nickel and iron or with silver and ice in my game since official release of survival update.

I also found depot as low at 80m under the surface which my hand drill did not detected in first place.

photo

Agree, but I wouldn't remove the Small grid small containers. If it is already in the game, it should be removed. Also, better some storage than no storage. I like (small grid) small containers.

photo

there ARE no grids in smal ship containers in NONE of them. You want build lagre ship containers? well go and find cobalt thats the whole ponit of progress in the survival Game. Sorry i strongly disagree with you guys.

photo

There are metal grids in the large ship small cargo containers, last time I checked.

photo

@Wizard Lizard yes there are metal grids in "large" ship contaiers. And the the smal ship containers DON'T have.

Just what i said.

photo
photo

Negative! It's an incentive for people to get cobalt, which isn't very rare or very common, you just have to look for it.

photo

How long have you been playing the game? It's easy to say something is simple, and you are just doing it wrong, but nothing in the game tells you how to search for ore (looking for the gray or dark spots) so for new players like myself, it's a major turnoff and frustrated me to no end!!! I got help from friendly people on Discord, but if it weren't for them I'd leave the game without ever collecting cobalt, or building a ship

photo

In this regard you are 100% right! Space engineers should teach you how to find ores. And even vets have trouble noticing ore spots in tundra zones. I have exactly 1128 hours on record [counted by steam].

But i still believe Grids should still be left in containers.

Here are some common ore deposits:

- Fe

- Fe Ni Co

- Si Mg Ice [Ice used to be Uranium before the update, this deposit is pretty common]

- Au

- Au Ag [Usually Gold is mostly on a higher layer, so there's a 50% chance that if you find Gold you can also find Silver deeper]

These are the most common ore deposits on planets. I recommend walking in zig zagz in an area till you get a ping from your drill / small grid ore detector or large grid ore detector. Unless you are on a lake [darker spots] / in a desert [white spots] / savanah [bright yellow spots, if you have grass turned on can be visible from above with jetpack], on rocky hills .

The SE community is very helpful. Also a good place to find help would be reddit r/spaceengineers!

Good luck, my above answer was from my POV i did not consider the POV of a new commer. But even so, i believe metal grids should remain in containers, because they use Co to produce, Co is a military strategic deposit. But if Keen decides to remove metal grids, i wouldn't be mad or anything. In this case the ideal solution would be to remove them from small & medium containers [small grid] from small container [large grid] but keep them on the large containers [both on small and large grid].

Good luck engineer!

photo
photo

I think the small cargo (large grid) needs only 4 metal grids and the earth lander just happens to have 4 thrusters with a grid in each :) On both my earthlike landing i did not have too much trouble finding cobalt near.

I was not sure at first but i like it as is, as I said before it adds some progression to the game. Its also not a block that you MUST have its just very useful, yet can be engineered around until then.

Should have more of that kind of thing in the game.

photo

Survival kit produces exactly what you need to start a full survival. The solution of such a simple task as the construction of a small cargo container was described in the posts above. I am sure that after some time of the game, those who are now lacking cobalt, the idea of processing the stone into ingots may seem out of place.

photo

As a new player that just picked up the game a couple of weeks ago, I have to agree with the first part of this suggestion to allow stone to generate small quantities of Cobalt, primarily due to its use in Thrusters more so than Cargo Containers. Even after watching a number of videos and tutorial content by creators like Splitsie and others, I knew the "trick" to locating ore deposits based on the surface markers, but it still took me 4 - 5 hours before I located my first deposit of Cobalt, and it ended up being a surface boulder, not even an underground deposit. My world looks like it has been populated by gophers with my digging down to ore deposits all over the place looking for deeper deposits of Cobalt below the ones the mining drill scanner were picking up.

Cobalt is the first gating material in the game, and from the perspective of a new player that has tried to do the relevant out-of-game research (don't get me started on the inappropriateness levels of this), the rarity of Cobalt is FAR too high. Maybe it is more common on the non-Earthlike planets, I don't know yet, and none of the conversation threads I've run across have made any comments one way or the other on that score. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a semi-permanent stumbling block as I start in on a new save, but it seems like this topic, much like the Lightning topic, has been mostly abandoned by the community who just threw their hands up deciding that nothing would ever be done to address it.

Hopefully there is still some interest from Keen on making a better impression on new players to the game, because as is, the first time experience is EXTREMELY rough, and just feels very slapdash like nobody bothered to go back and address those early game pain points.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file