Max username length check in dedicated server counts 1 char too much causing insta kicks

BOHermes shared this bug 43 days ago
Need More Information

As title suggests, when trying to connect to a dedicated server with 32 character long nickname on steam, server rejects the connection with "You have recently been kicked from this server." message. The bug persists whether I'm using ASCII only nickname or one with UTF-8 characters present.

After firing up dedicated server locally and trying to join it, the same message shows up, but in server logs the kick reason is "Client name length of 33 exceeds maximum length of 32".

The bug lies in dedicated server counting one too many char in nickname length check, and the fix is very trivial.

Reproduction steps:

1. Change steam username to any 32 character long nickname.

2. Launch SE.

3. Try joining any dedicated server.

PS. When trying to reproduce the bug, be aware that SE doesn't register nickname change in-game, which means you need to restart the game between changing your nickname.

Replies (3)

photo

I had the same issue. I though I might have been shadow banned from the official servers. It seems that my name is just a little too long. Before, it wasn't.

photo

Same. I wanted to see if I could join MP with my custom windows install before buying more DLCs on sale, but decided to put it off after thinking I somehow got game banned.

photo
photo

Hello engineer,

Thank you for writing to us.

You are correct in noting that the reason for being kicked out of the server is due to the long username. Long usernames can cause various issues, not only for the player but for others on the server as well. As a preventive measure, players with usernames exceeding 32 characters length, are restricted from joining servers.

You can resolve this by shortening your Steam username. Please try using a username with fewer than 32 characters and let us know if you can successfully join dedicated servers. To shorten your username, please follow these steps:

1. Close/exit Space Engineers.
  2. On the Steam Client, go to the top-right corner, and click on your profile picture or username.
  3. From the dropdown menu, select "View Profile."
  4. Click the "Edit Profile" button (under the Level section).
  5. In the "General" tab of the Edit Profile section, shorten your profile name to fewer than 32 characters.
  6. Save the changes, relaunch Space Engineers, and attempt to join the server of your choice again.

If the issue persists even after shortening your username, please send us the log file from the time you encountered this issue.

• You can access your log files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I apologise for writing a confusing bug report, so I'll try to simplify it to 1 sentence:

Dedicated server thinks 32 character long nickname is 33 character long and wrongly kicks player with ambiguous reason.

It is very much a bug, and not an intended behaviour, and it actually seems to be the case of the game adding bogus character to the nickname as seen in the line from the log below(the numbers are my nickname):

2024-10-26 22:44:18.935 - Thread: 1 -> Service.UserName: 12345678901234567890123456789012

@Ronin Planetary Industries

Same. I wanted to see if I could join MP with my custom windows install before buying more DLCs on sale, but decided to put it off after thinking I somehow got game banned.

photo

I'd like to edit the post, because I didn't notice the respond feature, but I no longer can edit the post above, so apologies for trying to respond with @ symbol.

Also, I'd like to add that server generates corresponding log lines when trying to join the server with that nickname:

2024-10-26 22:44:43.908 - Thread:   1 ->  Client name length of 33 exceeds maximum length of 32 2024-10-26 22:44:43.985 - Thread:   1 ->  User left [007...527] 2024-10-26 22:44:43.987 - Thread:   1 ->  Disconnected: [007...527] 
As noted in post above, while my steam nickname is 32 character long, the game adds bogus character, which makes server think it's actually 33 character long nickname. The picture attached to the post above shows server response, as game logs do not show message itself.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file