random crashing of dedicated server.

Chris Lang shared this bug 8 days ago
Need More Information

Doesn't seem to be triggered by anything. Game could be completely idle with me just logged in but not touching the client at all (usually browsing the internet) and the dedicated server will just crash for no discernible reason. Happens once or twice per hour.

Replies (2)

photo

Hello, Chris!

Thank you for writing to us and sharing the log.

We noticed that there are plenty of MODs/Scripts running on the server where you experienced the crash. The log also contains several MOD-related errors, which could be causing the server crash. We recommend reviewing all the MODs/Scripts you have on your Dedicated Server (DS) and removing those that are broken or incompatible.

Please note that we do not and cannot provide support for MODs/Scripts, as there are thousands of them out there, and it is the responsibility of the MOD/Script creators to maintain compatibility with the latest version of the game.

For checking purposes, you can try starting an unmodded DS (with no MODs/Scripts active) and check if the server crash issue still occurs. If it does, please send us the log from the time the server crash occurred on the unmodded server.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I would think that the log file should give the reason for the crash. If it were a mod or script shouldn't that be indicated in the log? What I have noticed is that it seems to be when the server is idle that it crashes the most. It would be really helpful if the logs generated were actually useful as far as giving an indication as to why it crashed.

photo

The log doesn't seem to show any kind of indication the server crashed, which makes me consider that it might an issue caused by your PC's hardware/software outside of the server runtime.. If the server crashed because of internal problems, it definitely logs whatever went wrong. Have you checked whether your system perhaps runs out of memory?

photo

doesn't seem to be the case. Something I am noticing is that when the game does a cleanup of grids it seems to grind everything to a halt while it runs as though its just a runaway script. It seems like it would have less impact if there were some pauses built into the trash collector routine so it ran more in the background over time instead of hogging up all the resources at once and freezing the server while it runs. The odd thing is that there doesn't seem to be any hardware problems, I'll do a burn-in test of the ram, but its only using about 12gb of the 16 available and cpu usage is around 80%. As stated previously, it seems to crash most often when nothing appears to be happening, if the server is just idling. It never crashes during intense combat or anything like that. Power management is set to performance mode and never sleep or hibernate.

It should be noted also that it is a fresh install of windows 10 on the server machine (a spare computer run locally) i7-3770k and 16gb ram

photo

That is.. A lot of ram and cpu usage for constant load. My somewhat modded server might hit 6 gb of RAM but cpu usage never jumps over 15% and sits on about 4% avg at any given moment. Do you play on the same machine that runs the server?

EDIT: I see it's a spare pc, I'm assuming it's a separate one.. It's still a fairly odd scenario. I've run a few servers on dedicated machines, sometimes paralel, but never ran across this issue. I do have to take a stand with Keen here and agree that it's not really their job to look for a fix with that many mods and scripts running. I've also ran into server crashes but never without the log showing nothing at all.. I would say Keen doesn't have a single lead to help out, and I wouldn't say that the amount of server debug logging is normally lacking

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file