Cross Grid Control Group Activation

Hellothere_1 shared this bug 4 months ago
Reported

On one of my builds I noticed that several timers would trigger control group actions for blocks on a different and completely separate grid from the one they are on, after separating by merge block (while also not activating blocks of the same group on their own grid that they should be able to affect)

The bug shows up reliably enough that I was able to make a blueprint to reproduce it:

https://mod.io/g/spaceengineers/m/cross-grid-influendce-demonstrator

What's supposed to happen:

The drone in the blueprint is supposed to be able to fire four missiles in sequence. These missiles use a two-stage activation sequence:

1. Stage 1 activates the forward thrusters, detaches the missile from the ship and starts a 1 second timer located on the missile.
  2. Once the timer for Stage 2 triggers, it activates side thrusters, deactivates the main thrust override, arms the missile, and lets the onboard AI blocks take over.

The stage 2 Blocks are all in one common Block Group called "Missile Stage 2" shared across all 4 missiles. This shouldn't be an issue, because by the time it is used, the missile is separated from the ship and thus shouldn't be able to affect the blocks on the other missiles.

However, instead it ends up activating the "Missile Stage 2" blocks on a different missile (and all other missiles attached to that one's grid), while also not activating them on its own missile.

How to Reproduce

Paste the blueprint and enter the cockpit.

Pressing 1 will launch a missile, which will then activate the thrusters on all the other missiles 1 second later.

However, for easier demonstration, instead press 2, which detaches all four missiles from the ship. The main grid can then be removed entirely. Afterwards go to one of the missiles and trigger the timer on it. No matter which missile you pick, the timer will always trigger group on the second missile from the left, rather than the one on its own grid.

Replies (3)

photo

I just did some more searching and I think I found the cause of the Issue:

When I set up the stage 2 timers for the missiles, I selected all four of them at once and then set the actions for them at the same time. I suspect that this caused the actions of all all the timers to somehow reference the actions on the "main" selected one in a way that then also uses that block's as a reference to pick which grid to search blocks on.

My main piece of evidence for this suspicion is that when I cut and paste the missiles individually after detaching, the timers on all missiles except the one second from the right have their action bars removed/corrupted (that thing where there's only a greyed out block that the timer lost it's reference for). Since the timers are supposed to trigger block groups rather than individual blocks, this loss of reference makes no sense unless those block actions are actually referencing the actions on another timer altogether rather than copying them

photo

can confirm this sometimes happens with my heavy rover and semi truck but i dont know what causes it when it does happen on my end. seemed entirely random

photo

Hello engineer,

Thank you for reaching our forum and letting us know about this issue.

Issue was successfully reproduced on our side and put into our internal system.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file