[01.203.6 default] Event Controller Piston Position % event reads "100%" when piston is at only 0.5m

Stephen Conklin shared this bug 53 days ago
Need More Information

This is a continuation from 10 months ago; you can now focus on the extension issue I was having, I trust?

I've been trying to automate a starter base drill arm, but I've run into a snag; the Piston Position % event is buggier than a roach motel; When I retract the horizontal piston to reset the arm for the next pass, it rockets down from 100% to NaN %, and then when it extends even 0.5m, the reported position shoots all the way up to 100% Happens in vanilla worlds

Steps to reproduce:

1: Add a piston, 2 timer blocks (for reset), button panel, and event controller to a grid

2: set the piston for 0m Max distance, and reverse.

3: Set one button to increase the piston's max distance and another to trigger the first timer

4: set up the first timer to decrease the piston's max distance, reverse the piston and start the second timer, on a 3-second delay. The second timer reverses the piston again.

5: Set up the Event controller to read piston position %, and add the piston.

6: Trigger first button, then check the Event Controller: Position will read 100%

Replies (2)

photo

I see the same behavior. A simplified description of the bug is: the event controller is not evaluating or triggering in the event the piston's max distance changes.

In the above setup, also place a light and set the event controller to turn on the light when piston position is >=100% and turn off the light otherwise. Change piston velocity to 0.1; set both timers to 5 seconds; set timer 2 to decrease piston max distance, reverse piston, and start timer 1. Now press button 2 (or manually trigger one of the timers) so the piston will repeatedly extend/retract by 0.5 meters. (You may have to manually reverse the piston once to get the oscillation started.) Notice the light never turns off. Watch the event controller's information in the console and note that the piston position does change from 100% to 0% when the piston starts extending after max distance increases, but this change doesn't cause the light to turn off despite this being what should be a valid do-alternate-action event.

If you set piston velocity to 0 and change the piston's max distance, the input value shown in the event controller never changes. It only updates once the piston starts moving, but an extending piston is apparently not allowed to trigger a fell-below-threshold event. Changing a piston's max/min distance values should cause an update to the event controller input and have a chance to trigger an action if that update crosses the event threshold regardless of piston velocity.

photo

Hello, Stephen!

Thank you for writing to us and we sincerely apologize for the issue you have been experiencing.

In continuation to your previously reported issue related to the 'Piston Position % event', could you kindly confirm did the 'Piston Position % event reads 100%' issue you are referring to in this thread, started to occur after the previous bug was fixed or was it known before that as well?

Could you kindly send us a screen recording/video showing this issue, along with the vanilla world save file where you have experienced this issue?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves. If the world is on a Dedicated server, the save file can be found in the AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineersDedicated\Saves folder.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a Google Drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Here you go! I hope that I don't have to submit yet another report, but I discovered at least one other issue while setting up the test grid. It's detailed in the text panel attached to the piston.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file