Hitbox on small advanced rotors is larger than .5 meters

Chris shared this bug 2 months ago
Need More Information

This means that rotors do not slide past other blocks properly, and always create phantom forces, not to mention needless extra overhead on the physics engine.

It also prevents placing blocks next to them in sub-gridding situations. Pic #1 illustrates what I mean.

When you look at it with physics primitives enabled, it *looks* like it's supposed to clear, however you can see the rotor straining away from nearby surfaces: (Pic#2) it's hitbox is too big. This is because the small advanced rotor's hitbox is actually outside the overall dimensions of the block, while on other rotors it's the same size as the _cylinder_ of the rotor.

Small advanced rotors need to be fixed so that they don't continue creating phantom forces. It's the same as the regular rotor (except for the head), just give the base the same htibox.

Replies (5)

photo

Hello, Chris,

thank you for reaching our forum and letting us know about this.

While the images are fine and thank you for those, I had hard time to actually reproduce it in the game as such, with some visible effect (those "phantom forces" you are mentioning).

Can you please provide me a world save where this issue can be observed on some grids that are already there and are broken constantly? Or what steps I need to take to trigger this issue.

Eventually, when you are experiencing this problem on some grid when playing online, or are unable to share the save for any other reason, you can make a blueprint of that grid and paste it into new single player world and share me that one, or you can share just the blueprint itself.

For saves:

You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.

Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

For blueprints:

You can access your blueprints files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Blueprints. Select the correct folder where your blueprint is saved (local or cloud), zip the file and attach it here.

Also please, if there are some steps needed to be taken before this issue start to happen on the save/blueprint, please do share me also a screen recording with these steps leading to this issue (the phantom forces).

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Sure, here's both. Obviously only one grid is a problem, I made the other 4 just to show those rotors are fine. I guess the small, small-grid advanced rotor got missed in the overhaul for letting parts slide past each other?

I'd like to point out that on the (spinning) grid I made, with the hinge straight you can't even place a rotor on in it because it's hitbox interferes with the panel beside it.

Like most times phantom forces exhibit, sometimes it doesn't do anything and other times it's wildly out of control.

Just to reiterate, the fix I'm asking for is to simply make it's hitbox the same as the regular small grid rotor, they're clearly implemented very differently for some reason.

photo
photo

Why is this still marked 'needs more information'? I responded within hours.

photo

Please respond. I'm not looking for a resolution, just a status.

photo

Dear Ondrej Borz

What is the status of this item? Do I owe you 'more information' or what?

photo

With Splitsie's video today about new blocks, I assume an update is looming. As such, I'd really like to know if there is anything further I'm supposed to do vis a vis this ticket. Please tell me it's actual status.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file