Issue connecting static grids, snapping 2 static grids together

tiy shared this bug 2 months ago
Need More Information

Hi, I discovered an issue, what I believe is a bug. Here is a video showing that issue: https://youtu.be/mC9OFfQ8Bno

To explain what is happening - not sure where or how to start. I found out about two problems, which I don't know if are related:

1. One static grid -> split into two static grids -> difficulty connecting them again. In video I try to connect it with industrial conveyors. However it happens with normal armor blocks as well. Whenever I succeeded placing a block between these two grids, they do connect - making it one grid again. Everything is shown in the video. Tested in modded and vanilla survival.

2. Two static grids that are placed close to each other, but are not on the same grid (world grid?), can be snapped together. (also shown in the video as I find it hard to explain...) I encountered this while I was messing around in creative. Smaller grid out of two will move, larger stays stationary. Tested in vanilla survival and creative.

Not sure when this started happening. I noticed issue num. 1 couple days ago, however I wasn't playing much of SE before that and num. 2 I first noticed like ~2 weeks ago.

Replies (1)

photo

Hello, tiy!

Thank you for writing to us, and we appreciate your effort in providing the bug-related video.

For further investigation, could you kindly send us the world save file where you happen to reproduce the first bug?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a Google Drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hi, attaching my save and also image example of how I was able to recreate this issue:

I remembered I didn't try it on new vanilla world so I tried it on one now. (Alien Planet - default settings) I built 2 grids, if I wanted to place block between them (on yellow X), I could only do that while aiming at grid number 1. Grid number one was placed in free placement mode, while grid number two was placed in local-grid align placement mode.

Also, not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I am using experimental mode.

photo

Can confirm in a new vanilla game the bug can be reproduced and the bug pops up frequently in normal play. It’s rather game breaking.

Steps to reproduce.

Load SE and go to New game, Custom game, then “Start System”.

Start with default settings.

Select earth start.

Jump out of respawn pod and fly off some place.

Alt+F10 and select creative mode tools.

Build a small large grid cargo container in the ground.

Attach a normal battery on top.

Build out 10 strait “conveyor tube” from the cargo container.

Place another cargo container (we will call container_2) on the end with a battery on top to match what you did at the start.

If this end is not rooted into the voxel, then build down with armour blocks until it meets the voxel.

Test normal behaviour: You should be able to right click a tube piece and replace it. The grid will connect back together and you can access one cargo container from the other. This is normal behaviour.

Make sure your grid is one grid before continuing.

Now we will go to the second cargo container we placed (container_2), and connect 10 basic refineries all piped up to each other. I did this so that the entire grid is in one long line.

Go back to container_2.

While looking at the access port so that it is highlighted, press Shift+F10 to open the spawn menu.

Select stone from the list and enter 999999 as the amount.

Click “spawn into target container” 5 times, then hit esc to leave this menu.

Test buggy behaviour: Wait about 2 seconds for the basic refineries to start up. While all the basic refineries are processing the stone, break a conveyor tube part and try to replace it with the same part type. Be sure to check placement on both sides of the broken connection.

Expected buggy behaviour: The game will not let you place the conveyor tube part back in, to ‘re-join’ the parted grid back together again. This may effect just one or both portions of the ‘split grid’.

If you wait for the stone to finish processing in my experience you still cannot re-join the grids.

In my testing you can often only join in one direction.

In practice it can become imposable to join from ‘any direction’ possibly due to other parts of grids interacting.

If the bug did not reproduce for you, try adding more refineries and stone, what I think matters is the amount of stuff going on. Adding mods, strains the system easy but this is 100% a vanilla bug. I believe you just need to get a lot going on in one area. You can trigger it without 10 refineries.

Windows 11 Home (23H2)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-9100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file