2024-01-26: Unable to upload to Steam Workshop due to blueprint thumbnail size too large

lowww shared this bug 3 months ago
Won't Fix

S: We have good product that display you nice graphics.

User: My game resolution is 3840x2160. Could I publish to Steam Workshop?

I have the same issue as many months and years ago...

Screenshot size:

2024-01-26 16:28 3,199,763 thumb.png
I have enabled Steam Cloud option.

I resized thumb.png to smaller size

2024-01-26 16:28 723,789 thumb.png
If I resized thumb.png to smaller size it would restore original one.

2024-01-26 16:54 3,199,763 thumb.png
Please do NOT ask me to change display resolution.

Please just fix it once and forever.

Replies (7)

photo

Full screenshoots.

photo

Hello, lowww!

Thank you for writing to us.

Please note that the 1 MB thumbnail size limitation is set by Steam itself and not by SE. To resolve this issue, you have to either lower your screen resolution and attempt to publish the blueprint again or you can try the following workaround:

1. Open the hidden folder "%appdata%/SpaceEngineers/Blueprints/" and find the folder containing your blueprint.
  2. Open the file named either thumb.png or thumb.jpg in MS Paint (or any other graphic editor of your liking) and simply resize it smaller.
  3. Resave the file and overwrite the old file so that it is less than 1 MB in size.
  4. Then try publishing again.

Please let us know if you can publish the blueprint once you have a thumbnail below 1 MB.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, support.

0) SE is published on Steam. Please either add code to convert screenshot to accessible size or negotiate with Steam.

We hope convert screenshot to accessible size is not a rocket science.

1-4) Ask customer resize thumb.png is not professional.

Ask customer resize thumb.png without reading message (he did it) is not professional at all.

Please read the message and provide professional, like engineer, solution.

photo

Hello, lowww!

We would like to sincerely inform you that the thumbnail size limit for workshop items on Steam for Space Engineers cannot exceed 1MB. Unfortunately, this limit cannot be changed.

We understand that you have already tried replacing the thumbnail file with a smaller one, but as you mentioned in your original post it got replaced by the original/large-size thumbnail. To ensure that you have followed the correct steps for changing the smaller image file, we shared the steps for changing the thumbnail again to help you resolve this issue on your own.

However, it is always best practice to avoid having trees, mountains, and any other grids in the background of the grid you want to blueprint. This will gradually lower the thumbnail size limit by default.

To further assist you with the thumbnail size limit issue, could you please share the blueprint file of your grid with us? This will allow us to provide you with a blueprint file that you can use to upload to the workshop.

• You can access your blueprints files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Blueprints. Select the correct folder where your blueprint is saved (local or cloud), zip the file and attach it here.

Kind regards,

photo

How show build related to planet and atmosphere environment? Without mountains, lakes, trees?! What the point in 2024 when we upload 1-5GB(!!!) video to Internet public services minimize build image size to 1MB. Are you trying limit customer to poor build image in 2024. The product save is easy bigger than 1GB, but we discuss how minimize build image size to 1MB...

If it is Steam limitation and the company managers thing like 10-15 years ago I found links how to resize the image in C Sharp.

I hope the product developers are good enough to add the code to product please.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1922040/how-to-resize-an-image-c-sharp

https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/34378/free-open-source-c-image-resize-and-optimize-library

I am capable to resize image by myself.

I asked you to fix(!) the product and do not ask customer clean after you.

I attached the requested files just in case.

photo

Hello, lowww!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and code links with us. Your input is extremely valuable to us, as it helps us improve the Space Engineers experience for all players.

To ensure that your suggestion receives the appropriate attention, we kindly request that you submit a feedback ticket by clicking, here. In your submission, please provide more details on how implementing this improvement can benefit the game and enhance the overall experience for players. Your insights will directly assist our designers and developers in evaluating and implementing your suggestions effectively.

We appreciate your contribution to making Space Engineers an even better game.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House QA Department

photo

Hello Engineer,

as there has been no reply to this thread in some time, we will close it. If you're experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Kind regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file