Wheeled Grids on DS have a much larger CPU impact since the recent updates.

M.Kirby shared this bug 3 months ago
Reported

I help run a small community that does racing in SE with simple cars. Before the recent microsoft store update we were able to host a ~15 player race with 1.0 sim and about 90% usage on a server running a Xeon E-2288G. Ever since the update 7-8 players in their cars will now max out the cpu load once they start driving and 14 players will bring the sim speed all the way down to 0.5. We are running the same worlds and the same cars so there have been no changing variables that could have had this impact on sim.

I tried running an event on a different server with an i9 13900k and found that while it was slightly better, this much more powerful server still had worse peformance than our old one did before the update. I also ran a server on a Ryzen 7 5800x3d to see if it was an issue purely with Intel processors and had the same problems. I have also tested this with normal SE DS and Torch and have not noticed a difference.

Replies (5)

photo

Another SE racing community here, we have the same problem

photo

I run the GV Deserts of Kharak rover server and also have noticed over 200% increase in CPU load, specifically in physics according to the Profiler plugin.

photo

I conducted a review of the wheels code and found that the procedures to calculate tyre tracks are calculated on the server side as well as client. Removing such code from being executed on server (since it should be client side only) should help reduce CPU load

photo

Hello, M.Kirby!

Thank you for writing to us.

Do you have any MODs active on this server? If so, it could be possible that any of the MODs might not be compatible with the game's latest version, leading to the reported issue. Please review the active MODs and remove those that are broken or incompatible with the game's latest version. Alternatively, you can also try removing all the MODs (for checking purposes) to determine if the issue is dependent on MODs only.

If the issue still occurs on a vanilla server (with no active MODs), kindly send us the server save of this world, the server, and any player's log file, along with a screen recording/video showing the issue (low sim speed and heavy CPU load).

• You can access your server save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineersDedicated\Saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a Google Drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.
  • You can access your server log files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineersDedicated. The player's log can be found in the \Roaming\SpaceEngineers folder.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Test video was conducted on a completely vanilla server. The attached world file is the same as the one in the video.

When I was first testing I used a simple stick with 4 wheels but I wasn't getting any of the performance drops. After some testing I seem to have found that if the wheel is surrounded by blocks/panels that is what causes the large CPU hit. In the video a 25 ton car with completely open wheels the server usage goes from 3% to 4% once I start moving. When I start driving the 25 ton car with covered wheels the server usage goes from 3% to 12%. A single 4 wheeled car with no other subgrids on an otherwise empty world shouldnt be taking up 10% of an R7 5800x3d when it's moving. I hope this helps

photo

Is this on a dedicated server or a local world? I'm curious if you load up the last major release 1.202 in the Betas option if you'd see a difference.

photo

This was on a dedicated. When I get home from work i'll try it on the last release. Maybe this issue has been happening for a while and ive only noticed it recently. We used to race more open-wheel style cars previously so its possible this issue has been present for a while.

photo

I was able to replicate your findings. I had to use a different empty world though, the one you shared kept giving me an "Error Ticket Cancelled" message. I haven't tried loading up torch in an older SE version though.

Our server dev team has developed a torch plugin that changes wheel physics to use Layer 14 instead of the default Layer 15. This makes them ONLY collide with voxels and static grids. Using this plugin I was able to completely remove the additional Sim CPU % caused by driving wheels that were surrounded by blocks, so covered wheels and open wheeled test rovers performed exactly the same.

I also still think the base wheel physics load has been dramatically increased compared to previous major releases, so there are multiple issues that need to be addressed here. I'm happy to share the plugin with you on discord once its been tested further (still has some bugs).

photo

Mike, ticket cancells means the server was in offline mode, not public or private.

Are you willing to publish the mentioned plugin to Torch?

-Bishbash777

photo

Yeah that's my bad. Must have left the world in offline from when I made it. Although weirdly I was able to join it when I tried, that uploaded file was direct from the server.

In any case, that plugin would be great for us when its ready.

photo
photo

Hello, M.Kirby!!

Thank you for providing additional details.

We have successfully reproduced the issue on our end and have reported it internally.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file