G menu bugs (n/a) and build planner

Shumba shared this bug 7 months ago
Won't Fix

Did a clean OS install recently windows 11. Installed SE no problems then the latest patch. Aka I have a clean system.

Since last patch the g menu blocks frequently show the ‘missing’ N/A texture instead of the large or small grid variant in the right UI section.

In addition, selecting the said n/a blocks, will no longer select them (switching you between large and small grid) in the right UI section.

Worse that that! If you have large or small grid selected, selecting the icon in the main part of the UI will not be able to select that block for you if it has no opposite variant. At least I think that what it’s doing lol! You can’t select blocks!

This ‘can be’ an inconsistent but frequent behaviour.

I just loaded up a new game with my normal settings and no mods to get screen shots, and it was happening first time tho.

This is REALY frustrating to deal with, I thought it was a conflict, but it happens vanilla.

Second issue on G-menu is the build planner.

These seem related so addressing them together.

This one is even more inconsistent and it did not happen in my screen shot game. But when clearing an item from the build planner on the g-menu UI, it will sometimes completely ignore right click to clear. You instead have to double left click, sometimes more than once to get items to clear. This is also rather frustrating as I often use this. I believe it ‘may’ clear up with time or reloading the game, altho have not been able to extensively test this.

Inconsistent enough to be uneasy to reproduce at will, but just frequent enough to be annoying as hell when it does happen.

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, Shumba!

Thank you for writing to us.

Since the 203 Warfare Evolution update, icons for the blocks without the desired grid size variant will now appear as 'N/A' when not available in that specific size. For example, if you search for Scaffold Blocks on the G-screen, you will see icons for all Scaffold blocks in the Large size, but when you switch to Small size, icons for blocks that don't have a Small size variant will display as 'N/A' (please refer to the attached video for clarification). This behavior is not a bug but rather an intended feature.

Regarding the block removal from the build planner on G-menu, we were able to remove a block either by performing a single right-click or a double left-click. But in case, if you continue to experience this issue, please try the following steps:

Verify your game files on Steam

• Right-click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Installed Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file

• It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Delete ShaderCache folder

• Same access as SpaceEngineers.cfg

After completing these steps, launch the game via Steam and start a new, fresh vanilla world. Check if the issue persists or if it has been resolved.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

This was a completely unnecessary change and only serves to frustrate players. Why make players click more when the previous system worked just fine?

photo
photo

Well, fair enough if it’s a new feature you’re trying out, or if you’re trying to clean the code up a bit.

But, it has a serious issue of making it frustrating to select blocks from the ‘main panel’ at the same time – of which is my main issue here if I’m honest.

Now we have to select the grid size (that’s a small out the way button) and then the block we wish to use. Previously the game automatically worked all that out for us when we clicked a block. Why on Earth would users want anything else if the system for the user is working flawlessly already?

Now if we have the wrong grid size selected.. we can’t quickly add a large grid block to the build planner from the main panel.

I mean, I don’t want to first select a grid size, if the block only has one size. It’s clear what size I want? Do you? =D

At a guess, you’re trying to stop people selecting blocks they can’t use on the grid size there trying to build in as an aid. But in practice that’s the best place for a user to make an error and learn there mistake and the limits of the game. It’s all too easy to fall into the trap of over improving a feature, that can in turn neglect another feature that people often may not even have been aware of. That’s the joy and danger of design!

It may not sound like much and I may sound annoying, but smooth IU interactions are kinda huge in a building game! It will probably cost you DLC sales to be blunt about it. And that’s not good cos the community want you to do well, so you can make more great content. I want you to do well! I’d even love to join the team, but I don’t know code that well lol!

But especially if you switch blocks about a lot, UI is critical. And with more and more wonderful blocks being added to the game - people are doing a lot more block switching than they used to.

So perhaps it should at least, maybe, possibly, be revisited for some ‘adjustments’ or simply revert back to previous. Nobody would complain about that, it shows dedication to quality. Though if you really want to remove the automatic element, at least display all the block options across both grids so we don’t have to mess with selecting the grid size. A size indicator would do XD

We love the game and the work you do, but please don’t over work it. =)

Thank you.

As to the build planner issue: I will take the described steps then, continue trying to find a way to consistently trigger the bug.

photo

Hello, engineer!

Thank you for your feedback and for supporting our game. We greatly appreciate your input.

We sincerely appreciate your suggestions and kindly request you to submit them on our feedback forum.

Your suggestions will be carefully considered as we work to improve the game.

Regarding the build planner issue, could you please let us know if it persists or has been resolved?

Kind Regards,

photo

Hello, engineer!

As there has been no reply to this thread in some time, and the issue related to the G-menu is not a bug but an expected behavior, we will be closing this thread for now. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you happen to experience or observe any other issues.

Kind regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file