problems starting the game

Sergio González shared this bug 8 months ago
Won't Fix

Hello, i have played this game before, but i just installed after some time and the game doesnt want to start at all, restart, reinstall, manually downloading a CFG (as the game did not create it) nothing fix it. I've uploaded both a logfile with and without the manually downloaded CFG. Nothing seems to work. Some data i think can be usefull:

SO:Microsoft Windows 10 Pro(i use Atlas OS, which i'm afraid could have something to do with this problem?)

Versión10.0.19045 compilation 19045

GPU: 1080 TI

Ram: 16 Gb.

Please let me know if you guys need anything more, i would like to go back after buying the DLCs i missed :)

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, Sergio,

thank you for reaching our forum with your problem and I'm sorry that you are experiencing it.

Can you please share with me more information?

You are saying that you have played the game before. Was it on the exactly same PC (HW, OS)?

What exactly do you mean by "I use Atlas"? The log is saying that you are using Windows 10. Do I understand it correctly that the Atlas is some kind of Windows update/extension for games only? Do you still own Windows, or use this OS only? Are you able to disable the Atlas and try to run the game in normal Windows?

Sadly, there is nothing in the log that would point towards anything malfunctioning in the game; no error, no exception.

Can you please try these workarounds (if applicable on your OS):

• Verify your game files in Steam – right-click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Installed Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files
  • Delete ShaderCache folder – you can access this file by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.
  • Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it
  • Restart Steam
  • Reinstall VC Redist 2017
  • Update graphic drivers
  • Reinstall the game – do the clean reinstall. When you uninstall the game using Steam, go to both folders (the SE one in Roaming and also the one in Steam/steamapps/common) and make sure there are no folders/files left. If yes, delete those manually before installing the game again.
  • Make sure your operating system is fully updated

In one of the logs, I have noted that you have the "-admin" command in Steam launch options. Can you please delete that and try to load the game without any?

If nothing from above would work for you, are you able to provide me a log from Windows event viewer?

You can find a "how to" here:

https://www.spaceengineersgame.com/troubleshooting/game-will-not-start-issues/

by searching "When the game does not start and does not produce any log file." problem. However, it might not be possible due to possible differences in Windows and your OS.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, first let me answer some parts:

The PC i used before has been formated and updated a little: Before this update i had another SSD (both are NVME but this is bigger) and a 1050TI that was updated to a 1080TI. Atlas os is exactly what you say, i dont know if i can disable it fully but i will look into it. I want to get back to you because the game works right now, but is doing something weeird, please look at this new logfile, from there you can see that it took him 4 minutes to start (and not always starts after 10 minutes):

2023-08-28 21:08:02.072 - Thread: 1 -> MyConfig.Load() - END

2023-08-28 21:12:07.570 - Thread: 1 -> Checksum file is missing, game will run as usual but file integrity won't be verified

i dont know what is the checksum file, but the CFG was not present either, i downloaded it from internet, maybe is the atlas OS weird things that disable parts of the installation process? i will look at it to see if by disabling it, it works good again... i have tried to check integrity, download it again, restart PC... neither works!

photo

Hello, Sergio,

thank you for writing back to me and for the replies you have provided.

Thank you for providing the new log file. The error, that you are mentioning (checksum missing), is not something that you should be your concern of in this matter. I do sometimes get this error in the log as well and my game is running just fine. But by looking at your current log, there is something interesting going on:

Your log is full of "TryChangeToFullscreen failed" errors.

If you are able to get into the game, in the main menu at least, you can try to change the resolution and window mode there. Also please check that you have the correct GPU set in the game, and the game is not trying to run on the "Microsoft Basic Render Driver". Please make sure the game is using the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti" GPU (can be found in Options – Display as well).

If you are not able to get to Options – Display settings from the game (the game doesn't start for you to main menu), you can try to locate this file on your PC and change the value manually.

For this I would need you to navigate to SE Roaming folder again. I hope by now you have the .cfg file there (since the game seems to start at least). You can open in using e.g. Notepad. Find line 90 and 92, that says:

<Key>WindowMode</Key>

<Value xsi:type="xsd:string">1</Value>

By changing the number in line 92, you can change the Fullscreen setting here manually. It goes like: Windowed 0, Fullscreen window 1 and Fullscreen 2. Save the file and try to run the game.

Please let me know if after doing this, the game runs for you without any further issues.

Also if you have tried to run the game back on normal Windows (if possible) I would be interested in the state of the game there, when not using the Atlas OS.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

photo

Hello Engineer,

as there has been no reply to this thread in some time, we will close it. If you're experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Kind regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file