Wheels Causing Connected Ship to Tilt

Zuriys shared this bug 9 months ago
Solved

While working on my new ship designed to carry ground vehicles, I encountered an issue. When I loaded up the ship and lifted off, it was fine. Then I moved forward, and my ship started to tilt to the left. Fighting against this phantom force at high speed was difficult. Through testing I found the problem to be the wheels of my attached rovers. I removed the wheels and the ship started behaving normally, no tilt.

I tested this in a new world without mods as well to see if it was a problem with my mods, and the issue persisted. I tried blueprinting and pasting the creation in the new world. The ship began behaving normally, no tilt, even with the wheels attached, but as soon as I disconnected the rovers and then reconnected them, the ship again started tilting when I moved forward.

As evidence, I've attached a video that demonstrates the issue and how removing the wheels makes the ship behave normally. To have to disconnect the wheels takes up resources and requires propping the rovers up to attach new wheels. Any fix to this would be greatly appreciated as I spend a lot of time designing rovers. I would like to be able to transport them from planet to planet without issue.

Replies (7)

photo

Hello, Zuriys,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce it. Could you share your world save with me?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Sure, here you go.

photo

Did the save file successfully reproduce the issue?

photo
photo

Hello, Zuriys,

thank you for the save file. I tried to reproduce the issue but my findings were different from yours. Here is what I found out:

The world that you attached contains mods which I had to deactivate for testing. When I loaded the world and tested the ship, it tilted just as you said.

However, blueprinting the ship fixed the issue completely. I could put it the same world or a new vanilla world without an issue. I tried what you described and disconnecting and connecting the rovers made no difference. There still was no tilting.

I also tried to delete and reattach the wheels. Also no tilting after this reset.

Additionally saving and reloading the world got rid off the problem. After that I did not notice any problems even after several reloads. I am attaching a video here.

Can you reproduce this behavior in pure vanilla world with a ship build there as well, please? Did saving as and reloading the world fix your issue?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

photo

Thank you for the suggestions. I followed the instructions carefully. I was able to blueprint the ship, load it into a new world without mods, saved as, then reloaded, and no issue with tilting. However, I landed, disconnected the rovers, and reconnected them, had issue with tilting. And my vessel was falling at 0.8 m/s, something I didn’t notice before, probably cause it was falling too slow for me to notice. I even tried removing the hangar door, no luck. The only thing that helped was removing the wheels. The ship must not have been calculating the adjustments for the subgrids correctly.

That said, I tried building a small test ship with a connector and plugged the rover into that. No tilting or trouble whatsoever. This leads me to the conclusion that it might just be that my ship is somehow corrupted. It looks like I’ll have to scrap the project and start over. 🤷‍♂

On the positive side, there were some issues with lack of space that building a different ship should fix.

photo
photo

Hello, Zuriys,

thank you for trying the steps I suggested. I also tried to land, unlock and lock the connecters in vanilla world. And just as in your case, the ship began sinking and tilting. When I saved and restarted, the issue was gone again.

I also tried the same as you, and you are right. I was not able to reproduce the issue with pure vanilla ship. Which means that unfortunately, the issue is with the ship itself. I think that rebuilding the ship would be the better option, however can be tedious given the details that went into the first design.

Unfortunately, as stated above, since the issue is unreproducible with ship build in vanilla world I cannot be further help. My only suggestion is save and reload or if you want to, you can try to verify your game files. It could help with your problem.

-Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Installed Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

Please let me know, if you need any other help or if you discovered something new.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

photo

Thank you so much for investing time to help me with this issue, despite the fact that we couldn’t get it to work. 😂 Such customer service is amazing and what makes this game so great and enjoyable.

photo

Hello, Zuriys,

no problem at all, that is why we are here :)

I am sorry that I could not make it work and find out where the problem is exactly. Is it okay if I close this thread, or do you need further help? You can create a new thread anytime in the future if you need to.

Thank you for the kind words and I am happy to hear that you are finding our game great.

Kind regards,

photo

Yep, perfectly fine to close. Thanks a bunch

photo

Hello, Zuriys,

you are welcome and happy engineering!

Kind regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file