Intercept AI hiccup, acts as if collision avoidance is on

Gilligan Muller shared this bug 9 months ago
Reported

I've been working on a bomb drone that uses the AI offensive on intercept mode to get close and blow up. This drone has thrust in all directions unlike most custom missiles. I've run into a sort of issue while testing where when sending a swarm of drones at the same target block on a ship, one of them destroys the target, then the rest that were going for the same target stop briefly, then start to follow a new target on the ship (search for new target is at 5s), and all this is expected, BUT then they start to follow the new target as if the collision avoidance is on (even though the AI offensive block says override CA is still on), and it will not continue forward to intercept and blow up, instead keeping distance like 10m. So I have these funny bomb drones that just look at the target and sit there having an existential crisis wondering whether they should do it or not.

I am able to reset the AI to actually intercept by turning the AI behavior off/on or cutting and pasting the grid.

Steps to reproduce

1: paste 10+ of the bomb drone and set up another ship as an enemy target

2: activate all the drones by pressing the button, they should all start approaching the target

3: one or more will destroy the first target block

4: the rest that haven't reached yet will stop and find a new target block within 5 sec

5: then I observe them moving close to the new target BUT will not intercept, instead they keep their distance (the override CA is still on)

6: if I cut and paste the drone or manually turn the offensive block's AI behavior off/on it will work again as intended, actually intercepting the new target

I can upload the drone blueprint on Steam if needed, it will be called "Kunai Bomb Drone"

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, Gilligan Muller,

thank you for contacting us. I tried to recreate your setup but the drones intercepted the new target as well. Can you please upload your build on Steam and provide me with a link? You can also share your world save with me.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I have now published the "Kunai Bomb Drone" blueprint

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3013436060

This drone has reverse thrusters, it has an AI flight with collision avoidance on, and AI offensive with intercept with override collision avoidance ticked and search set to 5s. By default the AI blocks are off and AI behavior is off. To activate it, press the button

After some testing, here's a little more precise steps to reproduce

1: set up a ship as Space Pirates (turn off any turrets), OR to make it simple, place a line of blocks and put two batteries on either end, then transfer to space pirates

2: paste two kunai drones

2.5: Perhaps make sure the kunai drones are around 100-300m away from the target so the drones don't accelerate too much (because even if the hiccup happens and they try to slow down, their momentum might carry them to the target and blow up, not revealing the issue)

3: activate the kunai drones by pressing the buttons 1-3 seconds apart so they fly in a line one after the other after the same target

4: The first kunai drone will intercept and blow up

5: the 2nd kunai drone will immediately start to decelerate (check to see that the reverse thrusters are firing), then it will start flying after the next target within 5s

6: Then the second kunai drone will start acting as if override collision avoidance is off (so CA is on), moving close to the next target but not intercepting

7: This hiccup can be fixed by cutting and pasting the grid, turning the AI offensive's behavior off/on, un-ticking and ticking the override CA, or turning off the CA in the AI flight before activating the drone

so perhaps what's happening is in the period between when the first target is destroyed and the next is discovered, the AI reverts to the CA setting in the AI flight rather than the CA override in the AI offensive

photo

Hello, Gilligan Muller,

thank you for the blueprint and steps to reproduce. I was able to reproduce the issue and I reported it into our internal system.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file