Shadow flicker and Lighting problem (video included)

Joshua Rushold shared this bug 11 months ago
Won't Fix

On all settings configurations (video is shown in Max settings) shadows are stuck at low quality and low LOD as well as shadow flicker and are producing or accompanied by gray bands on the screen.

Replies (10)

photo

I forgot to add system specs if that helps (CPU) AMD Ryzen 7 7700 (GPU) NVidia RTX 4090 Asus TUF (RAM) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400MHz (declocked to 3600MHz) 128 GB (OS) Windows 10, and added the DxDiag.

photo

Hello, Joshua!

Thank you for writing to us.

Could you kindly provide us with more information concerning this issue?

Did you experience this issue while playing in single-player mode or on a Lobby/Dedicated Server?

Were there any active MODs in the world where you encountered this issue? If so, could you check if the issue persists when playing in vanilla (without any active MODs or Plugins) world as well?

If you are still experiencing the issue, please check if the shadow quality has been set to high/extreme settings (Options → Graphics → Shadow Quality) and if the correct video adapter has been selected in the display settings (Options → Display → Video Adapter).

If these settings are correct and the issue persists, please try the following workarounds that may help resolve the issue;

Verify your game files on Steam

• Right-click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file

• It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Delete ShaderCache folder

• Same access as SpaceEngineers.cfg

After completing these steps, please restart the game and check if the issue still persists.

We kindly request you let us know if any of the workarounds resolve the issue you were experiencing.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I've just tried everything you have recommended nothing has worked, and I forgot to mention every time im in a world there is a lot of hitching things failing to load, freezing, low fps and over time my ram usage just gets higher and higher in till I'm out of ram and I have 128 GB its even gotten to 52 GB (Image Included) A dev on the Steam Discussions. Dan2D3D [developer] 23 hours ago

Originally posted by jetblade545:

its just a start world it does it on all saves old and new

The SE Devs may have to fix update the game to run in your PC,

OR

they will have a solution for you so the best you can do is to contact them ASAP.

photo

I see the tag changed to (Need More Information) what information do you need?

photo

Hello, Joshua!

We apologize that none of the workarounds has resolved the issue for you.

Could you kindly check if your graphic drivers/software, and OS are updated? If not, please update them and check if that resolves the issue.

If the issue persists, please try a Clean Installation of the game. To do so, first back up all your blueprints and world save files in a different folder by going to the AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers folder. Copy the Saves and Blueprints folders, and paste them into a different drive/folder. Then, uninstall the game from Steam and delete any leftovers in the AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers and ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers folders. Reinstall the game and check if the issue persists.

If the issue no longer persists, you can move the Saves and Blueprints folders back to the Roaming\SpaceEngineers folder.

If the issue continues, kindly send us the latest screen recording/video showing the issue occurring on your end, along with the log files.

• You can access your log files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Kind Regards,

photo

I updated my drivers and my OS, reinstalled the game as-well as deleted the extra files, it did not work. Here are the video and both log files.

photo

Here is the video, it did not upload correctly last post. I had to lower the resolution so the file size was small enough do to a hidden file size limit. by any chance can you ask the people that work on the website to add a section telling commenters of the file size limit?

photo
photo

Hello, Joshua,

thank you for the video. Are you talking about the tree shadows? The flickering every half second is a limitation of our game engine that occurs every time the sun (source of light) moves.

Can you please turn off sun rotation?

Thank you for letting me know if it worked.

Kind Regards,

photo

The main problem its not the update time of the shadows, Its the shadows themselves, the LOD's are stuck on low even when set to extreme and (shown in the video) when I'm in the air if you look at the shadow of the character the shadow is disconnected from the out line of the character causing an odd and bothersome effect. What I'm going to do is get on my laptop a record a video to show what is should look like, it will be a lot easier to see the problem then, and yes the flickering is one of the problems, the reason being is that I've never EVER had the problem sense I got the game back in Oct 26, 2014, but now on my new pc build its here, so please bear with me while I get the recording on my laptop.

photo

Here is the video from my laptop on the same settings, three main things are different 1, no shadow flicker, 2 higher quality shadows, 3 higher shadow LODs, with the two videos side by side its easier to see what is wrong, I still don't know what is wrong.

photo
photo

Hello, Joshua,

thank you for the video and more information. You are using Nvidia graphics card, right? Nvidia has a system that automatically overrides graphic settings on games for better performance. It is possible that this is happening to you. You can try to disable this and test it again.

Thank you for letting me know if it worked.

Kind Regards,

photo

I've checked the settings and the settings for override where off, btw my pc and laptop both have NVidia GPU's I just tried using my laptop settings on my pc here but to no luck. The only thing it could possibly be at this point is that the game does not support my GPU, is it possible in a future update support can be added?

photo
photo

Hello, Joshua,

are you trying to launch the game through Launcher? If so, then please disable it and start the game again. After that please send me the newly generated log.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

photo

when you say (are you trying to launch the game through Launcher? If so, then please disable it) are you meaning steam? do you want me to start the game though the .exe?

photo

I did what I think you meant, here are the files, once I got back in the game to generate the log the performance is horrible but yet simulation CPU usage was only 7%. I don't know what to do here at this point I think the game is a loss cause for me.

photo
photo

Hello, Joshua,

yes, please launch the game through Steam. It said Space Engineers Launcher in your task manager but it should only say Space Engineers.

Does this issue persist on low and medium settings?

You can also backup your save files and blueprints folder and delete the whole SpaceEngineers folder.

Thank you for letting me know.

Kind Regards,

photo

it now only says Space Engineers and yes it does persist on low and medium settings and I did delete the whole SpaceEngineers folder.

photo
photo

Hello, Joshua,

did you used to have an AMD GPU before the Nvidia one? Your DxDiag and also our logs list an AMD GPU as one of the potential adapters. Can you do a full uninstall of the AMD graphics drivers to see if that helps you in any way? Also please try this link to microsoft site, where it provides back support for DX11 games as modern DX12 distributions do not come with full DX11 driver suit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Kind Regards,

photo

No I did not use an AMD GPU, my CPU has an integrated graphics its that, I just disable and and uninstall the drivers for it. I just installed the DirectX you linked me, I'm testing the game right now

photo

no it did not work.

photo
photo

Hello, Joshua,

unfortunately, we do not have your exact setup to test it on, but if you can, you can try to run SE on your friend´s computer. If it works, then you can put your graphic card into the computer and see if the flickering occurs. If it does then the problem is in the graphic card.

We have also noticed that you are using 170Hz on your monitor. SE can manage only 120Hz. You can try to lower it to 120 or 60 Hz and see if it makes a difference.

Also if you have Gsync/freesync, then please try to disable it.

Kind Regards,

photo

no it did not work, thank you for trying to help.

photo
photo

Hello, Joshua,

can I ask which of the above did not work?

Kind Regards,

photo

Hello, Joshua,

as there has been no reply to this thread in some time, we will close it. If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Kind Regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file