AI Recorder moves slow

Arcanith shared this bug 11 months ago
Won't Fix

Hello and thank you for your time to read this.

I, and apparently a few other players, have been attempting to make cargo ships and other types using the new AI Recorder blocks. An observation was made when making these ships.

These ships have no issues going to the first waypoint (Waypoint 0), they will speed up to reach the spot and slow down as they start to get close.

Once they start following the path, their speed is down to a crawl, up to a maximum of 10m/s if we are lucky, but more often than not it goes to 5m/s

• Distance between waypoints has been tested with multiple variants, even if the next waypoint is several km away they will still fly slowly.
  • All settings (collision, precision, Align to P-Gravity) have also been tweaked for testing, nothing affects its speed.
  • This issue has been observed in a new fresh world with NO MODS
  • A side observation, the ship also seems to attempt to follow the line from one waypoint to another with precision, making it wobble a lot in the air.

I do not know if this is intended behavior but I thought it would be good to make a remark about this, seeing more people have a related issue using the recorder to follow a path.

How to Recreate:

1. Build a ship that includes one AI Recorder block and one AI Flight block
  2. Manually create several waypoints of varying distances (preferably one with at least >1km)
  3. Let the AI play the path

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, Arcanith,

thank you for contacting us. I tested the speed of drones and mine reached over 90 m/s if the distance was big enough. Are you using a lot of thrusters and power on your drone? AI drones need more power and thrust to reach higher speeds. It is hard to tell from just the pictures you provided. Can you try to make those modifications to your drone and let me know if it helped? If you are still having this problem, please attach your save file as well.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, apologies for the delay answering

I have tested the ship by adding and removing power/thrusters, yet even with incredible thrust the AI only wants to follow a Recorded path at about 15m/s

It has power to boot, thrust to zoom, yet when it follows a path it absolutely refuses to go fast.

Like mentioned on the first post, when the AI is triggered, it has no issue going at a normal speed when approaching waypoint 0, Basic Task AI also has no issue speeding up.

It is while following a waypoint that the AI is not able to go at a faster speed.

Attached are some more pictures of the ship with added thrust and power to "motivate" it to go fast. At this point it is starting to look like, if its to follow a recorded path, its not worth the hassle to build it with how ridiculous it would look with the thrusters.

Stats of this ship before modifications: (Entirely atmospheric)

2x Large Upward Thrusters

2x Small Downward Thrusters

4x Small Forward Thrusters

4x Small Backward Thrusters

2x Small Right Thrusters

2x Small Left Thrusters

1x Battery

A bunch of small ones

4x Engines

2x Gyroscopes

It had enough power to fly up and move forward, works well enough with a normal AI

Added for test:

8x Batteries

2x Large Thruster for every direction

1x Large Downward Thruster

4x Small Reactors

With this insane amount of power and thrust, the ship can fly at a whooping.. 15m/s when following a recorded waypoint.. It still flies just as fast when moving towards Waypoint 0 as shown on the picture where its at a high speed.

photo

Hello, Arcanith,

thank you for the update. Can I please test out your save file myself? From what you described it should fly faster so perhaps this problem is build specific and requires me to look into it.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

photo

Hello, Arcanith,

as there has been no reply to this thread in some time, we will close it. If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Kind regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file