[Automaton] AI Recorder - Show Selected Points not working consistently

Olivier Beauchemin shared this bug 11 months ago
Reported

Since the Automaton update, I have noticed inconsistent behavior with the "Show Selected Points" feature. I primarily play on multiplayer/dedicated servers, so I cannot confirm if the issue also occurs in single player.

When I'm attempting to debug my path, I follow all the necessary steps to display all waypoints on my HUD. However, sometimes, without any apparent reason, it doesn't work. I might have to restart the game three times before it starts functioning properly. Even then, it might only work for an hour (or more...) before the issue resurfaces.

The "Show path on HUD" option is enabled.

The "Show Selected Points" option is enabled.

The "Show AI function" is activated.

The antenna is turned on, and broadcasting is activated.

I wish I could provide specific steps to reproduce the issue, but it seems impossible to pinpoint the cause. It works intermittently, and when it does, it's great, but it unexpectedly stops working without any apparent reason.

Thanks.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, Olivier Beauchemin,

thank you for contacting us. I tested this both on dedicated server and single player. The path got displayed each time even after restart. Can you please share your save with me where you noticed this inconsistent behavior?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Have you checked the Show on HUD for the AI block itself as well? Also did you check that all the settings stayed the same after for example a restart or after a while? If you notice the bug again could you record it, please?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I was conducting some AI tests on a new world, in solo mode this time, and once again, the selected points didn't appear. I had to reload the save in order to see them correctly. It's frustrating because I'm trying to understand and reproduce the bug, but I haven't been successful. Every time I attempt to reproduce it, it works fine.

However, when I want to play using AI, this issue keeps occurring. This indicates that you guys aren't playing your own game.

You can find many YouTubers who mention in their videos that sometimes the selected points don't show up, even when all the conditions are met. If you play your own game, you will come across this bug.

There is a reason why people don't complain about this bug (or other AI bugs). Your AI is incredibly broken and unpredictable, to the point where people prefer not to use it. Mods do a better job of automatically connecting to connectors. With your AI, even if I create a waypoint directly on a connector, the ship stops 1-2 meters before actually touching it, regardless of whether precision mode is activated or not.

I apologize for the strong criticism, but seriously, you should play your own game and experience what I'm talking about. It will give you a better understanding of the issues.

photo

For a brief period of time, I was able to reproduce the issue, although it didn't occur consistently. However, after recording the video, the issue disappeared and hasn't happened again during docking. It's quite strange.

Look by yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdsxm0S3r8

I hope this helps and serves as evidence that there is indeed a problem. I understand that I'm using a few mods/scripts in this test save, but back in April when the Automatons update was released, I conducted some docking tests with a friend on a vanilla save, WITHOUT any mods or scripts, and the problem was there. I'm confident that there is a glitch related to connectors and the "Show Selected Points" feature.

photo
photo

I am also consistently having this issue. The server we use has mods but they seem unrelated (Other then lots of textures loaded might be impacting this).. It'll work reliably for several hours before I spawn a new vehicle and suddenly it stops working. I have noticed other items that should be "Display on hud" also stop working at the same time. Possibly something going on with the antenna?

photo

Look like I was able to reproduce the issue for a short amount of time, look by yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdsxm0S3r8

I'm sure there are other reasons why the selected points disappear, but on this video, it happens when docking. Very weird.

photo
photo

Hello, Olivier Beauchemin,

thank you for the video. I was able to reproduce the issue and I reported it into our internal system.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file