collision avoidance with Follow me in AI move not work

ZX Spectrum 48+ shared this bug 11 months ago
Solved

Im on local game and simple testing how AI works.

small hydrogen drone with AI move, basic task in Follow me with 10 m/s speed limit and 10 m distance, allways hits base when I walk / run arround base.

sometimes parts of drone explode after hit the base. Around base is free flat enviroment.

sometimes drone make chaotic move if dont see me (i stay back on the ground), fly up then down, looking little left right (like where i am).

It is better, not to use this function, coz not work well ( collision avoidance with Follow me ).

It is AI finish ?

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, ZX Spectrum 48+,

thank your for contacting us. I tried to build the same setup, however when I walked around the base or flew up and down, the drone did not crash. Only when I directly tried to make it happen ( for example walking under construction which was too low etc.). Can you please provide me with a save where I can test the behavior? Can you please also describe or make a video of the behavior?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Example in the video

photo

Saved world from video example ( in small tested ship turn On event [key 3] )

photo

I will like to understand you write some very special: "Only when I directly tried to make it happen ( for example walking under construction which was too low etc.)". What for is collision avoidance function, and for what is word 'etc..' reserved ? It is or ot is not collision avoidance ?

photo
photo

Hello, ZX Spectrum 48+,

thank you for the save where I was able to replicate the issue. I reported it internally.

Kind regards,

photo

Hello, Engineers!

We're happy to inform you that the upcoming "203" update contains a fix for the bug you have reported. Thank you for taking your time to inform us about this issue and making Space Engineers better.

If you are still experiencing the bug on the new version, please let us know by commenting here or opening a new thread.

We are closing this thread as "Solved".

Kind Regards,

photo

Hi, I'm having an almost identical issue and can confirm it doesnt seem to have been solved in the 203 update sadly.

We have a small flat outpost on totally flat terrain, walls on 4 sides, a small tower in the center, bout 2-3 blocks high, as with the walls, with just an 8block high windmill tower at each corner, the drone docks and undocks itself and then the basic block takes over and sets it to wander no closer than 50, no further than 150 from the beacon, so theoretically it should wander round the outskirts of the base which it does... 90% of the time.

Once its battery hits below 50% its supposed to go to the first waypoint of the recorder block and then line itself up via waypoints and dock, which it does successfully for the most part, Unless, its the other side of the base when the battery low triggers, then it tries to path right through the base and often gets stuck on the walls or turbine towers, usually restarting the recorder block solves this but then i often have to turn collision avoidance off, because its stuck on something and refusing to move.

Another issue we have, is that when pathing the ai is RIDICULOUSLY specific about where it wants to be when it hits the waypoint, even with precision mode turned off, it will get to the waypoint, overfly, back up, overfly, go up down or wherever trying to line up our drop ship, failing 50% of the time, we've played with thrust overrides, more thrusters, less thrusters, slower speeds, higher speeds, all with the same result, which is infuriating, And again the same collision avoidance problems rear their heads, which we attempted to solved by toggling various things on or off at specific waypoints, which was frustrating because it wasnt triggering them because it couldnt line up at certain waypoints and just sits there jittering around the waypoint but not triggering it and this seems to be at random. Setting most of the trigger events to altitude changes helped ie, deploying wings, toggling on atmo thrusters, deploying landing gear etc which helped a lot but with how unreliably they follow waypoints its hit or miss if we send it up to orbit wether it will perform perfectly, which sometimes it does so we know the set up is bang on, its just a coin toss wether it gets stuck at the waypoints.

As a developer myself, I find myself asking the simple question: Why not set a bounding box around each waypoint (A trigger volume in Unreal Terms) That we can control the size of, and as long as the grid the recorder is on passes through that volume, it triggers the waypoint. That way the ship wont jitter around it burning precious fuel trying to line up and potentially dropping out of the sky as a result. Then simply have a toggle on each waypoint to either use the current precise method (greate for lining up docking connectors) or to use a larger trigger volume for the ship to simply pass through to reliablly trigger the waypoint 100% of the time for times where accuracy isnt an issue? Would certainly solve the problem that I, and after some considerable research, seemingly MOST of the people using these AI blocks keep encountering.

The AI blocks are a fantastic and powerful tool capable of so much, but some of the implementaion choices made during development are seriously holding them back, almost every concept i've thrown at the system (drop ships, follow me drones, patrol drones, cargo drones) have worked 95% and show incredible potential for creativity theyre just being held back by the waypointing and collision avoidance issues which are unfortunate two of the most important aspects of building successful AI drones.

Another example was we went out mining bout 2km from base, drone followed us fine for the most part but needed to be kept an eye on cos it would occasionally stop and refuse to follow us then randomly start again, we realised it was out of ammo so told it to go home and dock, it wouldnt move, we set it to follow us again, drove closer and this time it moved off, see what I mean about it being unreliable or random? Sometimes even something that worked consistently just fails. When we were testing the patrol drone, I had it dock, charge to 90, undock turn on all the correct ai behaviours, patrol til charge was less than 50, I left it for 3 hours doing that and went out, to stress test the AI, came back and it was still patrolling and docking nice, my friend logs into the server so I can show him, it takes off, flies a few points, then plows straight into the wall of the base. Now it was on wander when idle at this point so IT ITSELF was picking where to go and seemingly chose to go right through a solid wall. Its all so very hit or miss as to wether it will work or not, espescially with waypoints over long distances, we gave up last night after I accidentally triggered the drop ship to go home and it just sat hovering, sometimes pointing nose down (Despite align to P-Gravity on and pitch set to 0) Precision mode on or off has no visible effect, so we just carried on assuming it would run out of power eventually and crash, only to notice a couple hours later it had successfully landed, so the AI works but its unreliable and the waypoint thing espescially would be so much more usable if we could just fly withing a trigger volume rather than have to align the exact recorder block on the exact point in space, with that set up our dropship would work 100% of the time since we only need that level of precision at the very FINAL waypoint and having to be that precise at EVERY waypoint makes the current system very frustrating to use.

photo

then, make short video with example a place it with short text here on portal as New bug.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file