This object is in archive! 

Lock on Jammer exploit using sub grids

celyn lewis shared this bug 17 months ago
Solved

A recent exploit has been shown in a multiplayer server where the player has used small grids within a large grid ship. This caused a glitch where any other grids could not lock onto the ship at all and turrets would not be able to focus fire.

It is a relativity simple exploit by having a protruding large block with connectors, then match up the large connectors with small connectors and encase the large grid connectors with the small grid blocks. You can see this in the pictures provided, all you need to do then is have a way of disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors. I replicated this by using a timer block turning the large grid connectors between lock and unlock, as well as triggering itself. We replicated this within a multiplayer server, with relatively low player count at the time and the one single ship with this devise on managed to nearly double the cpu load on all cores, dropped the sim speed at average to 0.8 from 1 and brought the cpu threading to 160% from 15%. This is all seen in the files and video i have attached.

Replies (8)

photo

this took a while to reproduce. i'm inviting the inventor to this thread as well. thank all that helped with this challenging ticket.

we tracked it causing huge spike in CPU and degradation in performance on top of completely breaking PVP balance. see attached cpu graph

photo

The lock on prevention can be achieved without the use of a timer block. One is included in the pictures provided but is not necessary for the anti lock on affect. The core concept seems to be having any grid surround another grid, which itself surrounds a third grid. For compactness small grids can be used for the inner grids. It is critical that both inner grids are attached to the outer grid, and that these grids are situated to obscure the center of mass. The timer block is a red haring.

photo

here is the video of it working

photo

This video shows the receiving end of the phantom drive. It's offline at first, but you can see the moment I turn it on.

photo

Hello, celyn lewis,

thank you for contacting us. Could you share your blueprint or save with me?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineersDedicated\Saves. There should be a folder with your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

• You can access your blueprints files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Blueprints. Select the correct folder where your blueprint is saved (local or cloud), zip the file and attach it here.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hi here is the blueprint for the jamming exploit, i have attached a blueprint of the ship and also the device on its own, timer 4 needs to be started to activate the devise and you can sit in the seat and activate the timer to start the devise.

Hope this helps and is sufficient, please let me know if you need any further help.

photo

Hello, celyn lewis,

thank you for the blueprints. I was able to reproduce the issue and I reported it into our internal system.

Note: since this is an exploit I have deleted all of the shared files, videos and gifs. Thank you for understanding.

Kind regards,

photo

Hello, Engineers!

We're happy to inform you that the upcoming "203" update contains a fix for the bug you have reported. Thank you for taking your time to inform us about this issue and making Space Engineers better.

If you are still experiencing the bug on the new version, please let us know by commenting here or opening a new thread.

We are closing this thread as "Solved".

Kind Regards,

Replies have been locked on this page!