[01.202.068 default] Event Controller Piston Position % event reads "NaN %" when piston is at 0%

Stephen Conklin shared this bug 11 months ago
Solved

I've been trying to automate a starter base drill arm, but I've run into a snag; the Piston Position % event is buggier than a roach motel; When I retract the horizontal piston to reset the arm for the next pass, it rockets down from 100% to NaN %, and then when it extends even 0.5m, the reported position shoots all the way up to 100% Happens in vanilla worlds

Steps to reproduce:

1: Add a piston, 2 timer blocks (for reset), button panel, and event controller to a grid

2: set the piston for 0m Max distance, and reverse.

3: Set one button to increase the piston's max distance and another to trigger the first timer

4: set up the first timer to decrease the piston's max distance, reverse the piston and start the second timer, on a 3-second delay. The second timer reverses the piston again.

5: Set up the Event controller to read piston position %, and add the piston.

6: Trigger first button, then check the Event Controller: Position will read 100%

7: Trigger the second button, then check the Event Controller. Position will read NaN %

Replies (2)

photo

Hello, Stephen,

thank you for writing to us about this.

Issue was successfully reproduced on our side and put into our internal system.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineers!

We're happy to inform you that the upcoming "203" update contains a fix for the bug you have reported. Thank you for taking your time to inform us about this issue and making Space Engineers better.

If you are still experiencing the bug on the new version, please let us know by commenting here or opening a new thread.

We are closing this thread as "Solved".

Kind Regards,

photo

No, it doesn't. It still reports 100% extension after 1 step of piston extension

photo

Hello, Stephen,

thank you for your update.

However, this thread was about the "NaN%" value which is no longer happening.

If you still think that there is another issue with pistons like this, please open new thread and provide all necessary information there.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind Regards

photo

"I've been trying to automate a starter base drill arm, but I've run into a snag; the Piston Position % event is buggier than a roach motel; When I retract the horizontal piston to reset the arm for the next pass, it rockets down from 100% to NaN %, and then when it extends even 0.5m, the reported position shoots all the way up to 100% Happens in vanilla worlds"

The first paragraph shows that the other bit was part of the original report. I wasn't aware that bug reports were limited to one issue to a report, even if the other issues were included originally.

Edit: forgot to add "limited to" between "were and "one"

photo

Something I've noticed with this event is that it compares to the configured maximum extension in the UI, rather than how far the piston can actually reach. This means that a piston extended 0.5m will be at 100% if the limit is also set to 0.5m - this hasn't been a major issue for me (and in cases it's been useful), but it would be what causes the behaviour you've mentioned

photo

I know, and it's breaking stuff; I need to make it so that each time the arm makes a 180° sweep of the area, it extends the horizontal piston by 0.5m. After the first piston reaches 10m, it resets, drops the first downward piston by 0.5m and starts again until the horizontal piston is at 10m again, resets, drops another half meter, etc., etc., until the both the downward pistons are at their max and the upward piston is at its min., and it does a FULL system reset, bringing it back to the pre-drilling config, raised, retracted and put away to one side. However, I can't even get it to get past that first stage because of this bs. And here they are, "Oh, this is about such and such, we can't possibly include that in the report, dur-hur" And now I have to make another bug report, and I can't even get the extensions to work via timer and event controller anymore, so I'm just so freakin' frustrated.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file