Issue Jumping with Magnetic Plate Locked Grid - Obstacle Detected

Jim K shared this bug 18 months ago
Reported

So I have an confusing dilemma when trying to jump with another grid. The goal/idea is this grid would be attached closely to the ship, however, there's a certain distance away that's required but there doesn't seem to be any reason for a collision. The original version had blast doors on each side of the container which I thought was the cause but removing that and adding this two block space had no effect. The only thing that seems to work is adding around a 3/4+ block distance with a large landing gear to attach to the container.

In the attached files the "Large Ship Jump Drive" this vessel has magnetic plates that attach to the container "Subgrid Jump Issue". When attempting a jump, the game will report an obstruction within 0 to 10m (the distance varies depending on orientation of the ship). I tried a few things:

• Moved the jump drive up a block and rebuilding it.
  • Moved the attached grid down a few blocks (eventually enough space does make it work)
  • Added some blocks to the attached grid.
  • Moved the cockpit further away from the attached grid.
  • Restarted/reloaded save.
  • Even if detached but within a few blocks above vertically (the LCD side) it will not allow a jump
  • Discovered if I position the attached grid sideways, it will work.
  • Discovered if I position the ship not centered on the attached grid (e.g jump drive further forward, it will work.)

I'm really just curious:

• Is there some invisible object/block I can't see?
  • Is it something to do with the construction?
  • Are magnetic plates an issue somehow?
  • Is there some minimum distance?

I have successfully jumped other ships with grids attached via magnetic plates, gears and merge blocks but there is something peculiar here. Any advice would be amazing, thank you!

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, Jim K,

thank you for contacting us. Can you please provide me with the effected save? I cannot determine what the problem could be from screenshots.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Attached is the world save file. I excluded the backups to make it smaller. Happy to run you through anything else but the ships I added are all in the same general area.

photo
photo

Hello, Jim K,

thank you for the save. I am having some difficulties navigating through the save file. Can you please help me out?

With which grid are you trying to jump?

All of the grids I found are in gravity field of the planet bellow so it is not possible to jump with them.

Some of them have obstructions around preventing them from jumping.

Where are you trying to jump (which GPS coordinates should I use)?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

photo

Thanks for taking a look at the save, really appreciate it. My apologies, I didn't think to set up the save file in the configuration needed which was an oversight. I have uploaded a new save and video showing the failure and success states. The video shows the expected configuration, e.g. all 4 magnet locks on the sub-grid where it will refuse the jump due to an obstruction. Then also shows my "work around" where I slide the main grid forward and re-lock, which will then allow the jump.

Entity Reference:

Main Grid: "Box"

Sub Grid: "Large Grid 5901"

Jump Coordinates - GPS:urnaium near moon:5156.25:161110.46:-119650.6:#FF75C9F1:

photo
photo

Hello, Jim K,

thank you for the updated save and video. It really helped me with identifying the issue. I was able to reproduce it and I reported it into our internal system.

Have a great day and please, do not hesitate to reach to us again.

Kind regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file