This object is in archive! 

Heat Vent / Battery / Solar Panel combo causing freeze

Pierre Derange shared this bug 18 months ago
Solved

I finally pinpointed a crash which is bugging me for some time:

Heatvents with a power dependency of 0% are causing a game freeze under special circumstances.

I just tested it in a fresh unmodded empty creative world and can recreate the event without a problem, it is a bit complex though so I hope you understand my description.

1. Build some armor blocks as a base in space.

2. Add a heat vent on it, set power dependency to 0% (1% or higher seems to fix the issue)

3. Add a power consumer block. In my test, I used a basic refinery and spawned 10.000 stone into it.

4. Add a few solar panels to it, enough to run the refinery. In my test, I used 6

5. The refinery should be running now. Note that the heat vent is not shining light (even though it should be, since power is consumed and the dependency is 0%)

6. Add a Battery. The game freezes.

This is an issue in survival as well. In my creative test, adding a nuclear reactor before adding a battery was sufficient to prevent a freeze as well. Running the refinery only on batteries works also. The heat vent seems to have a problem only in a solar panel/battery combo and while running on exactly 0% power dependency.

Replies (6)

photo

I run a reasonably active server and we have also encountered this bug in MP. I had not yet investigated to the same extent as you, but I can confirm that we had 1 grid that would cause all clients that loaded the grid to freeze, whilst the server was unaffected. We narrowed it down to the heatvent, and removing the heatvent block stopped the freezing. Later we had another grid with this same problem - though in this case did not invest the time to narrow down the cause and simply removed the whole grid.

Also worth mentioning that as it is a permanent freeze and not a crash, there is nothing in logs to point to the cause.

photo

Thank you so much to figure out the reason of freezing.

I also experienced client freezing and when I remove heat vents from the world using SEToolbox, problem solved.

photo

You're a legend!!! I've spent multiple hours trying to fix my game with no success! Setting power dependency to 1% fixed the issue.

photo

I am glad I was able to help you with the hotfix, this took me some time before I noticed the pattern I was looking for.

When did you first experience it? Now I am curious if I had it earlier as well or if it came with the recent update.

photo

Yeah I'm stunned you found it.

It occured right after the Automatons update.

photo

Hello, Pierre Derange,

thank you for the detailed report. I was able to reproduce the bug and I reported it into our internal system.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineers!

We're happy to inform you that the upcoming "203" update contains a fix for the bug you have reported. Thank you for taking your time to inform us about this issue and making Space Engineers better.

If you are still experiencing the bug on the new version, please let us know by commenting here or opening a new thread.

We are closing this thread as "Solved".

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!