Assault Cannon/Custom Turret Controller Bug

sonorousdark shared this bug 12 months ago
Reported

I've encountered a bug where controlling a custom turret with the custom turret controller will cause connected assault cannons to fire by themselves. I downloaded the Green Team IFV - Dual Barrel to modify it and encountered this bug pretty much as soon as I spawned in the blueprint. At first I thought it had something to do with timer blocks on the vehicle or something in the "Setup Actions" section of the custom turret controller so I just ignored it. After making modifications to the vehicle (which included removing the timer blocks in question and replacing the turret controller as well) the issue persists despite all my attempts to fix it. I've tried everything from copy/pasting the vehicle, saving as a new blueprint and spawning it in that way, enabling/disabling scripts in my singleplayer world, enabling/disabling AI in the custom turret controller, disabling experimental mode and starting a new game. Nothing seems to work. Occasionally the bug will disappear when saving/reloading and the turret can be controlled from the toolbar as normal without the Assault Cannon firing on it's own, but reloading the save again will cause it to reappear at random. I even built a new small grid with the bare minimum parts needed and I can reliably reproduce the bug using a save game. The issue doesn't seem to affect autocannons or gatling guns and I haven't tested the large grid artillery gun. I'm not very experienced in this game and I'm still learning new things every time I play but after all my testing I can only imagine it has something to do with the recent combat changes in the Automatons update. I've done a lot of searches to see if anyone else has been experiencing this issue and I've come up empty-handed. Unless I'm missing something really obvious which I'll admit is entirely within the realm of possibility given my limited experience, I felt the only option was to create an account and submit a report. I apologize for the long post but I feel it is important to be as specific as possible to avoid being dismissed. Thank you.

Replies (3)

photo

Yeah this "bug" Is really annoying!

photo

Hello, sonorousdark,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. I tried to subscribe to the build you mentioned but when I pasted it in my world nothing happened. I looked at the setting but I did not find anything out of ordinary. Can you please share your world save with me so that I can test it out there?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

This is not a *World save* issue... It's the block itself that is broken / bugged.

And you still telling us that you can't figure it out, clearly then you're not doing your job propperly.

photo

Okay, I've never zipped a file but I think I did it right. Attached you'll find a save with a contraption resembling a turret and to the left of it you'll find a from scratch built and heavily modified version of the IFV in question. To clarify, the bug will not always appear upon the first time loading the save but quitting without saving and reloading a few times will reliably cause it to appear within 1-3 tries. The save is in creative mode but the bug will still appear in survival as well. Simply load the save, press 1 to control the Custom Turret Controller and if the bug appears the Assault Cannon should fire on its own and send you spiraling through space from recoil. From then on, if you press F to stop controlling the turret and press 1 again when the cannon is reloaded, it should fire on it's own again. To reiterate, if you press 1 and the cannon does not fire on it's own, the bug hasn't appeared and that means everything is working as it should be. Quitting without saving and then reloading the save is key to reliably reproducing this bug. Thanks for the reply and I apologize for my own late reply as I was playing other games and this had escaped my mind for a while. If you can't get the bug to appear with this save I can probably produce a video of the bug to be included in another reply. Thanks again.

photo

Well put sonorousdark. I have experienced the same bug.

photo

I've gone ahead and produced a video of the bug in advance to make things a bit easier. On the first attempt loading the save the bug doesn't appear and I can press 1 to control the turret without the Assault Cannon firing on its own. On the second attempt loading the save the bug appears and when I press 1 the Assault Cannon fires on its own without any input from my mouse. Before reloading the save I hop into the IFV and press 1 to control the turret, and the bug does not appear. I reload the save again and this time the bug doesn't happen to my turret contraption but when I hop into the IFV the bug appears for it instead. I think it's worth noting that at no point while I was in the seat of the affected grids did I even have my hand on my mouse. I've also tested this bug with a controller having unplugged my keyboard and mouse from my computer so I think it's safe to say that faulty hardware on my end is out of the question. This is an elusive bug that seems to jump from grid to grid at random and without explanation, sometimes not appearing at all until the save is reloaded a few times. I'll say again that this seems to be an issue specifically related to the Assault Cannon, as tests with the Gatling Gun and Autocannon under identical conditions have yielded no results. I'd like to see the issue resolved especially after learning that it is affecting others and not just myself. What is a minor inconvenience to me could present itself as a more frustrating problem for people who have more invested in the multiplayer aspect of the game where Player vs Player combat is an integral part of the experience. Thanks.

Edit: I couldn't get the .mp4 to appear here so I've uploaded it to Youtube and you can find it with this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEgLklPqAuk

photo

I've suffered the very same bug, with some further testing prior to sending my own report I have a theory that blocks stuck mid-reload when you relinquish control of the Custom Turret will automatically fire when the control input is issued again. Perhaps there is an issue with the weapons in question having a fire command 'queued', and resuming control gives it the authorization to finally fire. Jumping around turret to turret on a design i was pioneering prior to automatons, there were mixed results - some would fire, some would not, but the ones that did were ones i definitively recalled doing fire-testing on, rather than simply assembling. This problem has been demonstrated with small grid autocannons, assault cannons, miniguns, and large grid artillery. Only two at most will fire without permission, and miniguns I've observed will only spool up rather than properly fire - perhaps not getting a long enough input to actually shoot.

I've also attached my log and save file(s) where I've encountered the issue, hope this helps.

photo
photo

Hello, sonorousdark,

thank you for the explanation and the save. Also thank you everyone for your input. I was able to reproduce the bug and I reported it into our internal system.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file