This object is in archive! 

Automatons Update Broke Old Saves

Alexander Petersen shared this bug 18 months ago
Solved

Keen Support Team,

Since the new update came out, I have noticed a few issues regarding saves made prior. The first issue is that the game hasn't been able to unload the world properly anymore. The game runs okay (especially given that I have mods and huge grids), and I am able to make saves along the way without error, but I cant exit the game without forcing it to shut down through the task manager. The game will be stuck on the unloading screen likely forever, though I have only tested it up to about 2 hours, and I lose anything since the last save. The manager says that the game is using crazy amounts of power and memory even though nothing happens.

The second issue is in-game. I tested the AI in a separate world and they seemed to work fine. The Recorder worked about how I expected and the other blocks did as well. I didn't test the combat AI blocks, but I figured they should work too. When I loaded in my older world, they didn't work well at all. The AI would merely point in random directions or at a targeted enemy and sit in one spot. I tested the grid to make sure it wasn't and engineering fault but I was able to fly the grid perfectly myself. Then I thought maybe the modded thrusters were jacking up the targeting and the calculations so I removed them and put vanilla ones on. That didn't seem to work though. Even with all vanilla blocks, It wouldn't move.

Additionally, I noticed the first issue in the last major update. The saves were all broken, wouldn't unload, and had gameplay issues. I ended up having to reset the game including the weeks of saves I had. I am hoping that this doesn't happen again, and I hope this report helps with the troubleshooting. I wish I had some crash reports but since the game gets stuck, It doesn't generate one. Looking forward to the next bug fix update, thanks!

-A.P

Replies (8)

photo

Any chance those saves were modded?

There are likely a lot of mods that have broken with the update, as usual, and heir authors would need to:

1. notice it/get notified by users,

2. find some spare time (most of them probably have a day job),

3. check what has changed in the game and

4. devise a solution, if they can.

So I would expect that many of those mods will get updated in next few weeks, so some of the broken saves might start working again after a while.

photo

Hello, Alexander Petersen,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. As Dominik mentioned your issue could be related to mods. It is always best to disable them before a major update and to backup your Roaming file.

Here are some steps which could help with your game not working:

1. Create a copy of the save game

2. Roll back SE to 1.201 Most Wanted using the Steam Betas menu (Right click Space Engineers in Library -> Properties -> Beta)

3. Start SE, click "Load Game", select copied save game and change settings

4. Set game to creative, offline, remove all mods, deactivate scripting

5. Load the game.

6. Save game as

7. Exit SE

8. Reinstall the 1.202 patch by selecting "None" in the Beta menu

9. Start SE

10. Load the newest save game.

11. Save the game as and exit out of it.

12. Go to Load Game and change the latest save games settings back to what they were originally (e.g. Survival, Private, Mods active, Scripting active).

13. Load the game.

When it comes to the game not closing please try the following:

Verify your game files in Steam

-Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file

-You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

- It means your game configuration will be deleted

Delete ShaderCache folder

-Same access as SpaceEngineers.cfg

Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it

Restart Steam

Reinstall VC Redist 2017

Update graphic drivers

Reinstall the game

Make sure your operating system is fully updated

And lastly, please try to disable the mods and try the AI behavior again. If your issue persists, please create another thread for it and please, share your world as well.

If you continue having issues with your saves not working/ game not quitting, please let me know here.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Keen Support Team,

I did nearly everything except reinstalling VC Redist 2017, that seemed to somewhat fix the AI issue. I got it to run while the collision avoidance is off (This seems to be a persisting mod issue with the collisions, and I am currently looking into it). The game still seems unable to quit this exact save. I tried some other old saves and they work fine. I am going to send you the world and see if this helps. I have also made 100% sure the mods aren't the issue by making multiple saves and using the same mods and settings as the problem save. Those worlds all worked perfectly. The broken world file was 200+ Mb, so I removed the backup files from it. If you do need those I will have to send them separately. It is also zipped up. Thank you for you help.

-A.P

photo

Hello,

I tried to load your save and then to quit and it worked alright on my computer. I am attaching the file here, so please, try to replace your old one with this instead. Please, let me know if you still cannot quit your game. You are saying it is just this one save, right?

If it continues to happen, please share with your log file from the time the freeze happens.

You can access your log files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

photo

Keen Support Team,

Thank you so much for your help, although the file was able to run properly and close, I was unable to recover the grids, likely because they included mods. I'm thinking that I will just have to start from scratch like I did before. I was able to get the log, If there is anything you can collect from it I would appreciate it. I am going to personally write a game review that highlights your exceptional service as a thank you.

Best of luck,

A.P

photo

Hello,

I happy that you can now run and close your game properly. I am sorry you lost some grids but as we do not offer mod support you need to go to the creators of those mods and let them know about your problems. I hope they can solve it and update the mods.

I looked into your log and did not find anything wrong with your save. The mods were probably the culprit here.

I very much appreciate your kind words and I am glad you are finding our support helpful.

Can I close this thread as solved or do you need my further assistance?

Thank you for letting me know.

Kind regards,

photo

Keen Support Team,

Thank you for all of your help! This issue is solved.

Much thanks,

A.P

photo

Hello, Alexander Petersen,

I am glad to hear your problem is resolved. I will close this thread now, but if you encounter any other problems in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Replies have been locked on this page!