32gb ram

64bit win10 pro

Client machine specs:

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz

32GB RAM

64bit win10 pro

GPU: 2070 Super

The problem:

I installed the automatons update, updated dedicated server, started server, connected, tried to place the saddle cockpit on a block and it does not place. a few seconds later I am disconnected from the server and then it reconnects. After the reconnect I'm standing in the same spot but the saddle cockpit block is no longer in my hotbar like it reverted the hotbar to before the problem. I can place other blocks like the small connector and signs without a problem.

I've load the server with and without mods enabled and I get the same issue. These are the mods I had on the server when the update was initially installed:

'Rendering Improved'

'Crew Enabled'

'[QoL] Radio Spectrometry'

'AiEnabled v1.4'

'[QoL] Production Quota'

'Build Vision 3.0'

'Nanobot Build and Repair System'

'BuildInfo (extra block+terminal info, air leak finder)'

'Bot_spawner'

'Rich HUD Master'

'Text HUD API'

'Definition Extension API'

Looking further into server logs I see the cockpit object is null which is causing the problem.

2023-04-13 16:16:26.435 - Thread: 19 -> No definition 'MyObjectBuilder_Cockpit/(null)'. Maybe a mistake in XML?

2023-04-13 16:16:26.440 - Thread: 19 -> Exception occurred: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Best Answer
photo

Installed the small update from today and it caused more problems with connecting to my server. In an attempt to fix this I reinstalled the dedicated server with steamcmd but this lead to an error when trying to start the server where it couldnt find needed files when pointing to my old world files.

What fixed everything:

1. I created a new instance from here:

694d7c1ddb75eaf1d6a95d0039d6c09e

2. Started the instance and connected to the server

3. Stopped the server

4. Deleted the "Earth Planet <date>" world save folder from the saves directory of the new instance

5. Copied my old world save folder "Earth Planet 01-28-2023 14-47-30" from "C:\ProgramData\SpaceEngineersDedicated\<old instance that had bugs>\Saves\" to the same folder for the new instance.

6. Start the server manager back up and choose the new instance I created.

7. Click "Continue to server configuration"

8. Then choose the old world save that I moved over from the "saved worlds" list here:

8e615b491f05ac744bab82c736ff9799

9. Click "load from..." in the bottom left of the dedicated server manager.

10. Pick my config file from the old instance directory

11. Click "Save & Start"

Using this config file(step 9) and my old saves kept all my mods and only replaced the game files above the saves folder. This makes me think it was a bug with the game files and not my world save or mods. It is hard to say if the small update I installed today fixed it or the process fixed it but all is good for now. Hope this helps someone else with the same issue.

Replies (8)

photo

Hello, Mike B,

thank you for reaching our forum with your issue.

However, when I did try it on my side, I was not able to reproduce this issue.

So either there needs to be more to it then just placing the block down and sitting on it (some additional steps), or the issue might have different origin.

I can see multiple mod errors in your log. Can you please try the same on the save/game where there are no mods at all? Preferably full vanilla game, started without mods, rather then deleting mods from the world where it already happened.

If this issue would persist on the vanilla game as well, can you please send me new set of logs and specify the reprosteps, if any update there?

It might also help, if you would be able to share me full save file with the affected block/grid already placed there.

You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineersDedicated\Saves.

Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

- I removed all mods and tested again. Same issue. New log attached.

- It works in a new local game and a new dedicated server game. With the mods removed from the server and it still happening, what else do I need to clear off to confirm its something with the mods or something with the game? is there a cache or config files that would have left overs from mods?

Still seeing the null error for the saddle cockpit in the log:

No definition 'MyObjectBuilder_Cockpit/(null)'. Maybe a mistake in XML?

2023-04-13 21:24:14.006 - Thread: 19 -> Exception occurred: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

photo

Something I forgot to mention, the new dedicated server and local games I tested on that worked were creative mode so I could easily spawn the cockpit to replicate the issue. Dont know if creative vs survival matters much for this.

Today I loaded into a vanilla creative world with all my mods and then pasted all my ships from blueprints into the world. I was still able to create the saddle cockpit without a problem.

Is there any object configuration in clear text files like xml or json that I can compare between the working/non working worlds or is all configuration compiled?

I'm attaching the world config file for the creative mode instance that works and the survival mode instance that has the problem.

photo

Seems dedicated server program has no data of saddle cockpit I think?

photo

Agreed. But why that asset and no others.

photo
photo

Installed the small update from today and it caused more problems with connecting to my server. In an attempt to fix this I reinstalled the dedicated server with steamcmd but this lead to an error when trying to start the server where it couldnt find needed files when pointing to my old world files.

What fixed everything:

1. I created a new instance from here:

694d7c1ddb75eaf1d6a95d0039d6c09e

2. Started the instance and connected to the server

3. Stopped the server

4. Deleted the "Earth Planet <date>" world save folder from the saves directory of the new instance

5. Copied my old world save folder "Earth Planet 01-28-2023 14-47-30" from "C:\ProgramData\SpaceEngineersDedicated\<old instance that had bugs>\Saves\" to the same folder for the new instance.

6. Start the server manager back up and choose the new instance I created.

7. Click "Continue to server configuration"

8. Then choose the old world save that I moved over from the "saved worlds" list here:

8e615b491f05ac744bab82c736ff9799

9. Click "load from..." in the bottom left of the dedicated server manager.

10. Pick my config file from the old instance directory

11. Click "Save & Start"

Using this config file(step 9) and my old saves kept all my mods and only replaced the game files above the saves folder. This makes me think it was a bug with the game files and not my world save or mods. It is hard to say if the small update I installed today fixed it or the process fixed it but all is good for now. Hope this helps someone else with the same issue.

photo

Hello, Mike B,

thank you for updating us on the issue. Can I ask if after your solution, the server still functions normally?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

photo

Yes everything was fine.

photo

Hello, Mike B,

thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear that everything works now. I will close this thread but please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

Have a wonderful day.

Kind Regards

Leave a Comment

Attach a file