[1.201.014] Datapads Stack

Slushtrap Gamer shared this bug 15 months ago
Solved

In creative, players can spawn any floating objects, among them are data pads. However, when spawning, these items can be spawned stacked in very high numbers, even though in the inventory they cannot be. This allows players to crash servers by overloading the inventory with huge amounts of invididual datapads.

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, Slushtrap,

thank you for letting us know.

However, it is kind of expected behavior when someone just bombs the server with e.g. million of datapads in containers or on ground.

The truth is, that even though I can party reproduce it – mine server is frozen, not crashing – this is fine, as written above. There is no way how we can solve this on the side of the game as such. But my game is not crashing. And even yours should not.

If you are able to reproduce this issue with not just server freezing, but crashing, can you please share me more information?

I would definitely need log (server one and from client as well). Please make sure there are no mods included on the server. I would also appreciate if you can send me some save file with the affected world, with the video showing how you exactly reproduce this issue on this world. That way I can follow precisely.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

It is basically an attack method against creative servers where you just spawn a massive amount of datapads and the server either restarts due to timeout or hangs permanently or does something weird. Also if the server manages to save while there are a few million of datapads in someone's inv then it will go into a crash loop because the CPU load created by them is constant till the inventory gets removed.

First image shows the effect of 100k datapads it managed to make my world unloadable.

Second is 1million you can reproduce it by just typing in 999999 into the spawn menu. 1800% CPU load is constant. Pressed K and the game froze. World didnt save so the world is still in working order.

photo

If you wanna cause the same failure that happened here to me then just spawn 100000-150000 datapads and save and exit the world and try loading it.

photo
photo

Things like character tools and weapons cant stack, and selecting a higher spawn count in the menu will not produce weapons stacked into eachother, so it does not make sense why data pads should be allowed to stack like this.

photo

Hello, Engineers,

thank you for all the other information that you shared.

After internal discussion about this, we decided that this issue should be reported.

Kind Regards

photo

Hello, Engineers!

We're happy to inform you that the upcoming "203" update contains a fix for the bug you have reported. Thank you for taking your time to inform us about this issue and making Space Engineers better.

If you are still experiencing the bug on the new version, please let us know by commenting here or opening a new thread.

We are closing this thread as "Solved".

Kind Regards,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file