This object is in archive! 

Projecting Subgrids

IotaSphere shared this feedback 21 months ago
Not Enough Votes

This has been most likely suggested already but I'll try anyway.

The current mechanics for a projector prevent projection of any subgrids attached to the main grid, including wheels. While I'm not sure the true reasoning for this, I'm assuming it comes down to handling both physics and collisions for subgrids as they're being welded.

I'm suggesting that the projectors, on startup, will scan a grid and all subgrids to check for any collision. Seeing as its a projection, it should be impossible for projected subgrids to move and invalidate the calculation. Once complete and collision verified, subgrid motion would be locked and would use the velocity vector directly from the projector itself. On ships, this would prevent subgrids from jiggling around as the ship moves. Once the grid is complete the projector can either automatically when the grid and all subgrids are fully welded, or with a button, "activate" the grid, giving subgrids their own independent velocities and rotations. It could be possible to forgo the initial collision check entirely, since the only way to have a completed blueprint would've been to make it, which would mean the projection already passed the collision check.

So basically:

1. Blueprint selected from projector menu
  2. Projector loads blueprint
  3. Projector runs grid and subgrid collision check (not bounding box check)
  4. If collision check fails: Display error indicating such and exit or display blueprint and highlight subgrids which have failed collision check
  5. Projection begins being welded
  6. As subgrids are welded, the subgrid's rotation is locked to whatever the initial rotation is in the blueprint. Physics simulation would handle subgrid as a part of main grid
  7. Once the entire grid is complete (or some "activate" button is pressed), subgrids would begin being processes as independent entities

Leave a Comment

Attach a file