This object is in archive! 

Misaligned Lakes on Earthlike and Alien

Michael shared this bug 17 months ago
Won't Fix

I wrote a tool for analyzing the planet files in preparation for a mod. When I displayed the gradients of the height map with an overlay of the lakes I noticed that four lakes in the top region of Earthlike are misalligned. The same goes for Alien since it is based on Earthlike.

The error is in the red channel of these files:

Data\PlanetDataFiles\EarthLike\up_mat.png

Data\PlanetDataFiles\Alien\up_mat.png

I attached a screenshot of my tool where the misaligned lakes are marked and two screenshots from ingame.

Replies (5)

photo

Update: I fixed the png myself and confirmed it in game. See attachment.

photo

2 Screenshots for confirmation.

photo

I did some additional checks and found that even more lakes have errors. Please see the attached file.

The lakes on the top left and top right don't have even ground and don't spawn properly.

Another lake on the bottom left was defined in the mountains and does not show up at all.

photo

Hello, Michael,

thank your writing to us.

We are very interested in the tool that you wrote. Are you able to share it with us, please?

We will investigate this issue further and see later if this is something to fix or not, because it might change the layout of the planets for all the players who might have bases and other things on those spots, so we need to evaluate it properly.

Thanks for your understanding. I will close this thread.

Please write to Community@Keenswh.com or you can reach our community manager directly on Discord: Kienata#2582.

He will communicate with you about it and about the possibilities.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello Ondrej,

thanks for taking this issue under consideration. I understand that backwards compatibility is important for existing game saves.

I made a mod (ID=2905788214) that contains the fixed PNG which I will use in the meantime.

You expressed interest in my tool, it's on GitHub:

https://github.com/michi84o/SpaceEngineersTools

Please be aware that this was just a weekend project to explore planet modding. I would have written the code differently if this was for a customer. It's slow and not optimized. The tool loads the material and depth map and shows the ore distribution on a map. There is a Button that generates new material maps with randomized ore and the corresponding ore mapping list for the SBC file.

Regards

Replies have been locked on this page!