This object is in archive! 

Textures and hitboxes getting misaligned

Darquos Leblack shared this bug 22 months ago
Won't Fix

Encountered the bug of the visual texture of blocks of static grids gradually misaligning with the actual hitboxes while playing on a server.

Example: I've been building a conveyor pipeline for roughly 2km and the further away I get from the base the more drastic the difference between displayed texture and physical hitbox becomes, I can literally stand halfway inside a block's texture before colliding with the actual hitbox. When approached from the side where the hitbox starts before the texture does, the hitbox does get registered but causes the character to jitter back and forth.

When attaching a separate static grid via connectors only the hitbox gets referenced for aligning, but when locking the connectors the textures of the new grid shift to match the offset of the original grid. This effect lasts until the server is restarted, allowing the new grid to have identically overlapping hitboxes and textures, but the original grid still displays the initial misalignment between texture and hitbox.

The version I'm playing on is the most recent Steam version as of 6th of December 2022, server version is also up to date as far as I know.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, Darquos,

thanks for letting us know.

Can you please share me more information?

I've been trying it on my side, but I was not able to get it to the state that you are describing.

Does this issue happen to you only on the server? Only on this one? Did you try it as well on other servers? What type of server is it – some Keen official, or some other? Is it dedicated server run by you or some of your friends?

When you copy-paste the blueprint of this affected base to the single player game, is the issue present there as well?

The 2 km threshold, that you are mentioning, is significant on your side for this issue to happen? Let's say you are not able to observe in on 1.9 km of conveyor piping and it will get broken just as you reach the 2 km distance?

Are you building the pipes in creative or survival game mode?

Can you share me the save file or the blueprint of this grid? Save file would be best, if you can reproduce it with the same grid (blueprint) in single player game. If there it is not broken, please share me at least the blueprint itself.

For save:

You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.

Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

For blueprint:

You can access your blueprints files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Blueprints. Select the correct folder where your blueprint is saved (local or cloud), zip the file and attach it here.

It would also help me to see the issue. If you are able to record a video, rather than sharing just the screeshots, that would be great!

Any additional information that you can share can help as well.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Thanks for the response and apologies for taking a bit longer.

Comment before the main infos start: I deconstructed the previous pipeline for practicality reasons, however a space station I had built on the same server exhibited the exact same bug, the video and blueprint attached and mentioned are thus related to the space station.

I have not had any access to other servers so far so I can't check how the blueprint beahves ther. The server I'm playing on is as far as I know a dedicated one run by some friends, definitely not Keen official.

Copy-pasting the blueprint in singleplayer did not cause the bug to happen, the grid behaves normally there.

As far as I understand it the bug is present over the entire grid regardless of length (when it does happen), the length of extension from the grid only makes the offset more noticable. For example a few blocks in length will not exhibit an offset large enough to be observable, but the longer the grid gets, the more the offset increases. It's like two linear functions with minimally different slopes, the closer you are to their mutual origin the less you can notice the offset.

The grid has been built in survival mode.

Thank you for your time.

photo

Hello, Darquos,

thanks you for providing the blueprint.

However, I noticed, that you are using there some modded blocks, right? That way, when I paste the BP into the game, these blocks are not added/spawned, the BP splits and it is hard to connect it properly again (e.g. the drilling arm).

When I did manage to connect it using only vanilla (no mods) blocks, I can not make this issue to happen.

Can you please try to replace this modded blocks with vanilla one? Are you still experiencing this issue when using only the game-official block? If yes, share me please this blueprint, where are no modded blocks at all and the issue can be still observed there.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Replies have been locked on this page!