This object is in archive! 

O2/H2 Generator uses same power when NOT Processing Ice

shiftyshadow shared this bug 17 months ago
Won't Fix

The O2/H2 Generators (big and small grid) both use the same amount of power when NOT processing anything as they do while processing ice.

I believe this is a bug because it is inconsistent with the other ore processing blocks which will only use large amounts of power while processing. (refinery, assembler, survival kit, etc.)

This causes them to use a large amounts of power to do nothing, and there is no way to automatically turn them off when they have nothing to process.

Please make them use less power while they are idle and still switched on.

Replies (6)

photo

They should go to their idle power draw when they really are not processing any ice. However, if you're in the ship, breathing, consuming oxygen, they never reach idle even for the minute amounts that the player character uses. So, you might want to double-check that.

That said, ice conversion should indeed run at proportional power draw, not full draw at all times. But that would probably be a suggestion, not a bug, as that, as shitty and lazy as it is, appears to how it was implemented.

photo

With nothing, and no one, using any type of gas the generators still use the same (max) amount of power. Tested this for both large and small grid. They don't seem to have an idle power consumption that is different from load consumption. If it's really intended then I agree, it's too bad. I'll leave this a bug report until they tell me otherwise though.

photo

Even without any ice in them, and no usage they are at the same consumption. The only time they change is if the block is turned off.

Gyroscopes also have this problem.

photo

I hate this forum ... why did it save only the file attachment, not the text?

Anyhow, the world save contains a test grid, demonstrating there's expected idle draw. The O2/H2 generator is on and has ice, but cannot do any work because I turned the oxygen tank off.

Suggest you provide a blueprint or worldsave of your own where you see the issue you describe, otherwise this is hopeless to investigate.

photo

Hello, shiftyshadow,

thanks for letting us know.

However, andersenman is most likely right.

Even you can try it on the save that he provided. The O2/H2 generator can get to idle power consumption (1kW), when there is no work to do. Either if you turn off the oxygen tank, or when you build a fully closed grid/room around it and let it fill completely with the oxygen from the air vent, the O2/H2 generator goes to idle (1kW) as well.

If you are still convinced there is something wrong, please can you provide the save file with the affected grid, so I can take a look directly into your game, please?

You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.

Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!