This object is in archive! 

Falling through the textures (120 thousand blocks in station)

Michal Skvrna shared this bug 2 years ago
Not a Bug

Hello,

I need advice on how to solve the problem with damaged texture physics.

I'm building a space station that currently has 120k blocks.

The game started telling me: The number of physical construction shapes is reaching a limit. Further modifications may lead to physics problems.

And what happened was that I started to fall through the already finished blocks. In some places, blocks cannot even be "placed".

I have a limit of 1 million blocks set in the game settings, and even then the game started to malfunction like this for 120,000 blocks.

At the same time, other players have created much larger structures several hundreds of thousands of blocks more than me and they have had no problem.

I don't think this will be a problem with my PC's performance either, as the game doesn't stutter and runs smoothly with no problems.

My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-core, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB graphics.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for "google english", Michal

Replies (1)

photo

Hello, Michal,

thanks for letting us know.

Can you please provide more information? I would love to see a video of this issue happening as well as having the save file of your world (if possible, if not, can you share at least the blueprint of the base?).

Like that, I would be able to try to reproduce the issue on my side as well.

For save:

You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.

Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

For blueprint:

You can access your blueprints files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Blueprints. Select the correct folder where your blueprint is saved (local or cloud), zip the file and attach it here.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello Ondra,

thank you for getting in touch this early.

I prepared a short video, the character is standing on a "fixed" texture - when moving forward, he sinks into the texture.

I left the character saved in this exact location in the game, so you can try it yourself. I am also sending save games in the attachment.

I found more of these places on the shoulders from the center of the station to the solar panels and other places, but it's probably not worth describing them. :-)

Thanks for the additional information

have a nice day

Michal Škvrna

photo

Hello, Michal,

thanks for the save file. It really helped in order to try in on my end as well.

And yes, you are right, there are no collisions on some parts of the grid.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this. As the warning message states: "Warning! Grid's number of physical shapes is approaching limit. Further modification may cause issues with physics." And that is exactly what heppened to you on this build.

See my image of comparison of your original build (right) and after I disconnected just two arms of your base (left).

In my change of your base, the collisions very re-newed and properly worked after game save and reaload.

This number is hardcoded and can not be changed in settings anywhere, unfortunately. Please keep in mind that physical shapes do not equal block limit in the settings on the world.

So either make whole station smaller (around 200 blocks long and wide should be fine), try to build it big, but keep an eye on this limit (you can find in from any block go to Control panel – Info tab) or try to make it somehow, that you are able to freely connect and disconnect individual arms, so you won't hit the limit.

As you are mentioning that you've seen greater builds, it's possible as well, but it's not about the block count as such, but the overall shape of the base/ship, detailing etc. If you would try to build very blocky base/ship, I might hit this limit in much bigger block count.

Sorry I do not have better news for you.

As there is nothing really wrong in this case, I will close this thread.

Hope this information will help you at least a bit.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello Ondrej,

thank you for the information and nothing to apologize for because you gave me exactly the information I needed.

So, if I understand it and divide the structure using, for example, merge blocks, then the structure will be as if from more than one part and thus I would avoid the limit?

If that's the case, then I don't have a problem anymore :-)

Thanks for the info

photo

Hello Ondrej,

thanks to the information from you, I started thinking about data compression in the game.

I have experience with graphics and its compression in data, so I thought that the same thing, that is, data compression could work in the game, and I started looking in the Workshop and found an already finished thing from another player.

I'm putting the link here just for your reference, and it works fine, Phys. Shapes shrunk by 50%. For my building, it fell from 65,000 to 33,000.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2596667376&searchtext=physical+shapes

What do you think? Wouldn't it be worth implementing a similar thing directly into the game? To make it work as a turn-on option for an individual build.

E.g. a checkmark in the "Information" tab that could be called "Enable block compression".

Replies have been locked on this page!